Roll Up Tonneau Covers vs Foldable/Hard Bed Covers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am on my third ram pickup, bought a leftover 2018 2500 this year. On my first truck I had soft top which was okay but does not provide any security and eventually it's hard to get the snaps or the rubber track if you ever rail type to work in the cold weather. On my 2003 2500 I put a Pace Edwards hard roll top and it worked great up until about 2016. It started to get a bit sticky and I ended up not being able to fix it. I bought a tri-fold hardtop from walmart.com and figured for the $400 that if it did not last too long it wasn't a bad investment for a year or two. I transferred that to my new 8-ft bed 2500 and it is still working perfectly after 3 years. It is easy to unclip and lift off by myself from the side and the levers that clip it actually hook raid up to the bed lip that runs the length of the underside of the rail so I didn't even need to use the attachment point hooks. Hi Carrie a lot of materials in my truck so I did not like the idea of the Pace Edwards box taking up almost a foot of my 8 ft bed, and it was always troublesome to make sure I covered it but pointed it out when the front loaders were dumping dirt and stone in there. I love having the easy access to my bed with this folding top And if I insert it just right I can pretty much get it into the backseat of my crew cab with one window slightly open so that I don't have to leave it somewhere when transporting things. And it is 100% secure in there and I have zero water in my bed as opposed to the Pace Edwards which always seemed to drip at certain points.

Rt71668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought my 3rd Ram truck this past weekend, 2003 / 2017 now a new 2019. Had Undercover tonneau covers on both of the others. Going down that road again with my 2019. My 2003 1500 still had the undercover classic cover I put on when I bought it in fall of 03. When I sold it a month ago, it still looked like a new one. My kids used to take the 03 to the drive in movies (yes we still have one of those) and put 4 lawn chairs on top of it to watch the movie. That’s 4 teenagers not little kids. Never made a mark on it. They are virtually indestructible, weigh +/- 70 lbs depending on model and your bed length and extremely easy to take off and put back on when you need to haul something other than groceries.

Placing the order for one for my 2029 today.
Any leaks ?

Sasqch

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM Rebel
Engine
So has anyone been able to find where the original silver rails went after the Ram dealer replaced them with the Black rails required for the OEM bed covers? I have 2016 Rebel 5’7” bed w RamBox and crappy leaky trifold Ram tonneau cover that I want to replace but all the 3rd party cover makers only support installments on the silver rails.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That’s the one I have and it leaks like crazy. Do you have the same problem?

Depends on the source of the leak. I have an Undercover Armor Flex installed on a 19 Laramie with a bed liner. We just got a Mr Carwash here in town that has tornado velocity winds and mine leaked in a couple places across the front of the bed where the seal rested on the liner. I had no leakage on either side where the rails ran along the sides of the bed. There was also some leakage at the tailgate as there is no seal there but it's been normal on all my caps.

I solved the front issue by running a small bead of black silicone along the front of the tonneau and pushed it forward to seal against the bed liner and then added a couple of spots of the same silicone at the corners where the cover met the bed corners.

Problem solved. It didn't leak much during driving in normal rains but the carwash showed the weak spots and it is now leak free except at the tailgate.

OP
OP
Hemi4905

Hemi4905

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
50C862F0-39E8-4473-9B54-572A15754E7B.jpeg Decided on ordering a trifold soft ODERO cover, DIY ODERO trailer hitch and 3-D printed ODERO weather tech floor mats for a total of $280 and couldn’t be happier, but I haven’t seen any rain yet. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to use them when I thought they helped gas mileage. Since they do not....it is a waste of valuable “Mod” Money

They probably help a little bit for fuel mileage but saving a few bucks at the gas pump is not why most people spend money on tonneau covers. It’s for security of the bed contents and keeping things dry and out of the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like my Retrax Pro hard roll up cover but I have had an issue with leaks around where the cover rolls in the track in the side rails. But at least Retrax is working with me on warranting the rails since I can’t seem to get them at the right angle for the bottom part of rail to act as a rain gutter. If this doesn’t work, they’re gonna replace my cover.

As far as ever getting another one, I can’t really answer that right now because my cover has leaked on each side by the bed rails for pretty much the entire almost two years I’ve had it. It’s pretty much bad enough that if I go on a long trip, and have to carry luggage and stuff in the bed, I have to wrap it up in a tarp to keep it dry if there’s ever a threat of rain. But I will say, it’s a stout cover. I’d trust it to keep people out.

My old truck had the Extang soft trifold with the canvas top that was a good, water-tight cover but, it wasn’t much for protection. c618d48abdd0353c86ae92863c3c5af6.jpgaafc29934e1920e60b0ddb2a0df3b1df.jpg

Joegar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Members,

I'm a newbie to the Ram 1500 club with my 2019 Classic but now let the mods begin. My question is what is the most affordable, tried and true bed covers out there that are actually worth the money? Thanks in advance.

I've used the Access Larado Tonneau cover for almost 10 years on 3 different trucks. Definitely best bang for the buck. And at a dealership you can haggle with the price usually.

Idahoan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am really happy with BAK Revolver. It has a metal backing, so it durable and can't get sliced. you can only unlock from the underside. So when your tailgate is locked, so is the cover. then when it rolls up, it doesn't take much space and you can see out your back window. They make another version that rolls into the bed, but I didn't want to lose bed space.

Here is a link to one similar.

https://realtruck.com/p/bak-revolve..._4knzBS1C5A_EuDurF-4nKUujN554yCEaAuVnEALw_wcB

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer Hard folding for its looks and security. I am a huge fan of the Lomax. The next bed cover I get will be a Lomax. For anyone interested we offer great pricing on many brands of bed covers. Contact us for a quote.

dblack63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Truxedo Trucksport roll-up. I have had both folding and rollup. I MUCH prefer rollup. It gets out of the way so that you don't have to take it off when hauling something.

Eric Grayson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Within a week of buying my truck I installed a Tyger Auto 5.7 T1 Roll Up Truck Tonneau Cover (Amazon $150) - because I 'had' to have a cover and both of my neighbors have soft roll ups. As time went on and - I spend about 120 nights a year in a hotel, I started thinking about parking near lights, camera, open areas as theft
deterrent. I didn't want my tools and equipment stolen.

So I read a lot of forums post and looked at the manufacturers web sites. I bought the Peregon cover.

My only dislike - I don't like the separate key so much, but I am used to it. Not a deal breaker for me. For what I do it's a great cover. I haul something every 45 days (guess average) from a sofa, pile of 2x4s, yard waste; just homeowner stuff. They may not like this BUT I kept putting my cover in the cart and not clicking the final purchase and they offered slightly better incentives 3 times. The third incentive + 0% Affirm financing sealed the deal for me.

View media item 28556
Hey.. how much room do you have when its rolled up...folded? Got Pic?

Larry C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I purchased the roll-n-lock for my ram and I love it. It will require a toolbox that is made to slide under the canister that the top rolls up in, but it is very secure.

I also looked into the Fold-A-Cover which I also really liked and also seemed very secure. I would stay away from the covers that have the wire release because they are easily broken into with a coat hanger.

Hope this helpsView attachment 187287

Last edited:

Rae Curb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the ReTrax Powertrax Pro. Installed the week I purchased my Rebel in 11/18. It is the second ReTrax I own and while pricey ($2000 installed) I love it. No leaks, electronic with remote, good light.

bed cover.jpg

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So has anyone been able to find where the original silver rails went after the Ram dealer replaced them with the Black rails required for the OEM bed covers? I have 2016 Rebel 5’7” bed w RamBox and crappy leaky trifold Ram tonneau cover that I want to replace but all the 3rd party cover makers only support installments on the silver rails.

There’s a thread from a while back that has the part numbers

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the ReTrax Powertrax Pro. Installed the week I purchased my Rebel in 11/18. It is the second ReTrax I own and while pricey ($2000 installed) I love it. No leaks, electronic with remote, good light.

View attachment 187401
So with that cover you lose what looks like 8" up at the front of the bed? Looks real cool and love the convenience of having it open and close on its own and I have to say i would probably open and close it all day showing people, but to me it is over the top unnecessary reason to overspend on something that you can just roll up on your own for a third of the cost and take the extra money and use it elsewhere. But that's me. I use my bed for whatever needs to be put in it and having a $2000 cover to be possibly damaged would be an aweful thing to happen. I'll stay with my $250 Lund.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Lee DeTro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on what the usage will be, I have a hard cover ARE LSX. I use my Ram 1500 for traveling so this gives me a big trunk. With the lock on the cover and the tailgate as secure as I feel you can get. If security is not a concern then Tyger makes a pretty good tri-fold that once you close and tighten the clamps then lock your tailgate will protect from the weather and somewhat secure. Just that if someone knows whats inside a good knife can cut through. I had the Tyger tri-fold and it kept things dry in rain and some light snow. Was easy to put on and off. My ARE takes at least 2 people to remove or install.

LM2_6838.JPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
View attachment 187179 Decided on ordering a trifold soft ODERO cover, DIY ODERO trailer hitch and 3-D printed ODERO weather tech floor mats for a total of $280 and couldn’t be happier, but I haven’t seen any rain yet. Thanks for the feedback!

I used Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant on the cover to protect it from the elements (rain, snow, UV rays). Water beads up and rolls off the side and any debris on top blows away when I drive. Ext sealants contain clear polymers similar to a paint sealant wax (4+ month durability). Very little water around the tailgate area, but the forward bed is dry + clean (I did not use the provided TG weather stripping).

Adams polish has VRT Exterior Sealant I believe on sale this weekend.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat