Rough Country Leveling Springs Alignments Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergeant Taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, first post here but have been lurking for about a year.

I installed the rough country 2" leveling springs last night on my 2019 1500 classic 2wd. This morning I dropped it off at a local alignment shop that I've used before. He claims that the springs are way too stiff and may snap a ball joint off but at minimum will destroy the front end. Anyone have an idea what he's talking about or what's going on?

As a side note while he's supposedly "the best" around here (small town) he flat out refuses to even look at lowered vehicles of any kind or type. I did notice that the front end was a lot stiffer than the rear during the about 25 mile drive to his shop but thought that had more to do with alignment than anything. This was also just the springs installed, not the RC shocks as I plan on in the future doing a 4" and will buy the maxtrac w/ fox shocks.

Any help, thoughts, or experience would be appreciated. Taking it tomorrow for another opinion from another local shop that does a little bit of everything rather than just alignments.

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hey everyone, first post here but have been lurking for about a year.

I installed the rough country 2" leveling springs last night on my 2019 1500 classic 2wd. This morning I dropped it off at a local alignment shop that I've used before. He claims that the springs are way too stiff and may snap a ball joint off but at minimum will destroy the front end. Anyone have an idea what he's talking about or what's going on?

As a side note while he's supposedly "the best" around here (small town) he flat out refuses to even look at lowered vehicles of any kind or type. I did notice that the front end was a lot stiffer than the rear during the about 25 mile drive to his shop but thought that had more to do with alignment than anything. This was also just the springs installed, not the RC shocks as I plan on in the future doing a 4" and will buy the maxtrac w/ fox shocks.

Any help, thoughts, or experience would be appreciated. Taking it tomorrow for another opinion from another local shop that does a little bit of everything rather than just alignments.

I can say owning my own suspension shop we do not install anything rough country. Too many issues over the years yes their prices are just too good sometimes but you end up paying in the end.

OP
OP
S

Sergeant Taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can say owning my own suspension shop we do not install anything rough country. Too many issues over the years yes their prices are just too good sometimes but you end up paying in the end.

Since he mentioned the Upper ball joints do you see anything wrong with the photos I posted?

OP
OP
S

Sergeant Taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this a common issue? It seems not even maxtrac includes new UCA for their level or 4” kit

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this a common issue? It seems not even maxtrac includes new UCA for their level or 4” kit
So you're not the first person to run 2" springs in their 2WD, and in this case 2" RC springs. Lift height seems to vary by truck model, so for example from the CST 1.5-2.5" 2wd coils

*** Due to vehicle weight differences the actual amount of lift height over stock will vary from truck to truck ***

The actual lift height these springs provide is approximately as follows:
Crew Cab 5.7L V8 / EcoDiesel = 1.75" - 2.00" Lift
Quad Cab 5.7L V8 / EcoDiesel = 2.00" - 2.25" Lift
Standard Cab 5.7L V8 = 2.50" - 2.75" Lift
Standard Cab 3.7L V6 = 2.75" - 3.00" Lift

I think Maxtrack also makes their own statement similar to this, I'd think RC springs will react in a similar fashion, but i don't have a 2WD so i can only guess.

With that said, you listed 2019 Classic, now fill in the cab and engine to have a better idea of how much lift you may have achieved. If you have a shorty cab then you gained around 2 3/4 more lor less according to the reference.
Did you measure the before and after ?

Regarding your question being a common issue, i dont think there is one per se at least when it comes to the shop perception regarding the springs being too stiff. RC is not exactly known for heavy duty coil springs, they're cheap so if you're on a budget they fit the bill. You gained perhaps more than 2" ? which will explain why the UCA angles looks bad.

Droop the front tires in the air and take a picture of the UCA BJ angles. They look literally maxed out at ride height but i don't think you have a lot of droop left in the shocks. Are you shocks stock or di you go with the ones they sell for the 2" springs ?

OP
OP
S

Sergeant Taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright so a different shop looked today and managed to get everything in spec for the alignment. However, they also commented on how stiff the springs were and based on my photos (since I forgot to measure before lifting) it looks like I ended up with 3" in the front.

I'm going to go with Maxtrac's leveling kit and fox shocks instead and return the RC springs. Anyone got advice on where to purchase or how to get in touch with nick from got exhaust?

OP
OP
S

Sergeant Taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here’s what it looks like with the RC springs and 35x12.5 I’ve got a maxtrac 4.5” lift on the way note and I’ll be returning the RC springs.

As far as fitment I only scrub slightly at full lock to the left.

1D930C18-3449-45EC-9FC1-53A5E78EC833.jpeg

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Alright so a different shop looked today and managed to get everything in spec for the alignment. However, they also commented on how stiff the springs were and based on my photos (since I forgot to measure before lifting) it looks like I ended up with 3" in the front.

I'm going to go with Maxtrac's leveling kit and fox shocks instead and return the RC springs. Anyone got advice on where to purchase or how to get in touch with nick from got exhaust?
@Nick@GotExhaust here I tagged him. For you. Also you use the start a conversation (pm) to reach out and get pricing for you