Rough start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I seem to be having some issues (typically in the morning) cranking my truck. It only does it after it sits for a few hours. So first thing every morning, and then usually again that afternoon when I get off work. I don't know how long it has been doing it as I usually crank it with the remote start while I am still inside.

I start it up, and for the first 10-15 seconds it sounds and feels like it is about to die. It starts up immediately on pressing the start button, but the rpms fluctuate up and down and it sounds terrible like it's about to cut off. After 10-15 seconds it goes to acting normal and there are no problems driving it. Obviously I will be taking it in to the dealer to get it checked out but I have not a chance to as of yet. I've had people say it could be a weak battery, somebody else saying it could be the idle air sensor. Any ideas? I would like to have some sort of idea before taking it in as the dealer I bought from is an hour or so away and my local dealer will not be graceful enough to give me a loaner while they have it.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I seem to be having some issues (typically in the morning) cranking my truck. It only does it after it sits for a few hours. So first thing every morning, and then usually again that afternoon when I get off work. I don't know how long it has been doing it as I usually crank it with the remote start while I am still inside.

I start it up, and for the first 10-15 seconds it sounds and feels like it is about to die. It starts up immediately on pressing the start button, but the rpms fluctuate up and down and it sounds terrible like it's about to cut off. After 10-15 seconds it goes to acting normal and there are no problems driving it. Obviously I will be taking it in to the dealer to get it checked out but I have not a chance to as of yet. I've had people say it could be a weak battery, somebody else saying it could be the idle air sensor. Any ideas? I would like to have some sort of idea before taking it in as the dealer I bought from is an hour or so away and my local dealer will not be graceful enough to give me a loaner while they have it.

While I cannot offer advice on what the solution could be, consider this....

I learned a long time ago not to give the service department any idea of what could be causing the issue and I just tell them the symptom(s) and tell them to fix it. The power of suggestion is huge and tends to make people focus on an issue that is not the actual cause. For example, if you tell them you think it’s a battery, you’ll get a new battery and be sent on your way and the next day, you’ll have the same issue. It’s under warranty, let them do the work.

OP
OP
K

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I learned a long time ago not to give the service department any idea of what could be causing the issue and I just tell them the symptom(s) and tell them to fix it. The power of suggestion is huge and tends to make people focus on an issue that is not the actual cause. For example, if you tell them you think it’s a battery, you’ll get a new battery and be sent on your way and the next day, you’ll have the same issue. It’s under warranty, let them do the work.
Good point. The biggest issue is I don't have much faith in the local dealer here. I had a leak on my 2013 a couple years back. They tried to tell me it was oil from the previous oil change. The fluid was pink/red. They didn't even clean it off to see where it may be coming from and to help trace the leak. I got some brake cleaner and sprayed it off in their parking lot.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good point. The biggest issue is I don't have much faith in the local dealer here. I had a leak on my 2013 a couple years back. They tried to tell me it was oil from the previous oil change. The fluid was pink/red. They didn't even clean it off to see where it may be coming from and to help trace the leak. I got some brake cleaner and sprayed it off in their parking lot.

Nice move. I hear ya about confidence in service. I have a friend in that business and the way they pay them is with job rates. It is in the mechanics best interest to get the job done fast so they get a good paycheck. Unfortunately, it leaves us victim to their lack of detail.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something is dirty, its a new truck bring it in.

msw1382

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have this too. 700 miles on the rebel. Just started. Dealer visit in the future. Suggest you record it since it won’t happen there.

OP
OP
K

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have this too. 700 miles on the rebel. Just started. Dealer visit in the future. Suggest you record it since it won’t happen there.
Yeah I will record it this weekend. I wont have a chance to take it to the dealer for another week or so. If you get yours in before me let me know what they say.

grffthj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
took mine in, was at the dealer 3 days. no known fix for rough start in the morning, mine does it everyday, no matter the weather, feels like throttle response isn't very good either. disappointing.

SJ345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Mine has been doing it also every now and then once in the afternoon. Just got the truck back after the dealership had it a week and they could not reduplicate the problem. Obviously I’ll take it back when it happens again but I’m trying to be patient

SJ345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also contacted Chrysler but no return call yet

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

^^^^^^POST OF THE DAY!^^^^^^

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Subbing because I have the same issue. I live in Phoenix and it seems I have been noticing it as the weather has gotten cooler but as someone pointed out it could be because when it was hot out I was using remote start more. Went to Prescott over the weekend (6700 feet and chilly) and both mornings it was really bad. I thought it was going to die. Guess I will have to start recording my morning starts to see if I can capture it on video. Hopefully someone on here gets it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Went to the dealer last week for a bunch of things but this was one of my complaints and the action taken by the dealer.

Rough Idle at Startup - Flashed PCM per TSB 18-076-18

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk