running rich and burning fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

killerbee1464

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok so here is the problem I have an 05 ram with the 5.7 hemi it has long tube headers no cats and the first 02 sensor on the drivers side reads that my truck is running lean but in reality that side of the motor is running extremely rich to where the plugs are black. I have the same set up for both sides of the motor and the passenger side is burning fuel how it should be. Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it? Im tired of 11 mpg on the hwy...

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
ok so here is the problem I have an 05 ram with the 5.7 hemi it has long tube headers no cats and the first 02 sensor on the drivers side reads that my truck is running lean but in reality that side of the motor is running extremely rich to where the plugs are black. I have the same set up for both sides of the motor and the passenger side is burning fuel how it should be. Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it? Im tired of 11 mpg on the hwy...

I would think you have a bad O2 sensor, because it is telling the PCM that the left bank is to lean, therefor the PCM enriches, opens the fuel injectors for a longer time, to bring the engine in line with the PCM's tune.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm going to guess you have a leak on the driver side header. Sensor is reading the lean condition caused by the leak and fattening it up. You might try swapping the O2 sensors and if the condition follows the sensor then it is a bad sensor otherwise look for the leak.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
K

killerbee1464

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks I'll try flipping the sensors and see if it's the sensor. Do you think this is what's causing my horrible gas mileage?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Thanks I'll try flipping the sensors and see if it's the sensor. Do you think this is what's causing my horrible gas mileage?

I would think it is a major contributor to poor mileage.