Rust Check ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
We have a shop in Bangor Maine that does the RUST CHECK service! From the add they are the only one in the US as of now! So have any of you Canadians used it ? You like it ? At $250.00 it is $100$ more then Fluid Film, but seems like they do more ? So your 2 cents would be great !

Thanks

Rich

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If your close to the Canadian border, I would check to see if there is krown rustproofing near by.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reminds me of all the Ziebarts and Rusty Jones places that existed years ago. They're good as long as they stay in business. Once they fold, you are SOL. I'd bank the money and hope I won't need it instead of gambling on a corporate operation that is nothing more than a franchise.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the Krown applied on my RAM 2500.Living in Michigan they Salt the **** out of the roads.Best $179 I have spent.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have Ziebart undercoating on mine. Even if they go out of business I doubt they will come remove my undercoating. I have ran across a lot of older vehicles in the past that were rust free or had limited rust for their age and they were undercoated. I doubt it could hurt.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
If your close to the Canadian border, I would check to see if there is krown rustproofing near by.
I am about 2 hrs from the border,and dealer is 100 miles away but could work when I go on a fishing trip ;0

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Our Canadian members speak very highly of krown rustproofing.

17crewram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Ziebart undercoating on mine. Even if they go out of business I doubt they will come remove my undercoating. I have ran across a lot of older vehicles in the past that were rust free or had limited rust for their age and they were undercoated. I doubt it could hurt.
Yeah, but I have a friend who had his car ziebarted and had major rust. Ziebart just refunded his money. Was cheaper than fixing.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
1. Krown is great for an INITIAL application as it will seep into all cracks and crevices BUT because it is so thin and low viscosity oil it washes off the areas that get road spray super fast.

2. Fluid film is wicked but it does not seep into important areas like krown does.

What i personally do is spray my truck with krown to get inside frame rails, door panels and rocker panels and then evey 2 or 3 weeks i will buy fluid film aerosol cans and touch up as many areas as i can underneath.

For me at work i have a hoist so i just put my truck in the air after the snow has melted from it and go nuts with fluid film every couple of weeks. In spring time i will wash the truck inside and out VERY THOROUGHLY to wash all dirt and salt off of it then have it re-krowned

Last edited:

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If ziebart is that rubberized undercoating crap, stay away from it it only traps salt and moisture and can rust your truck out faster once salt gets in between the metsl and the coating. Also it does NOT get very important essential areas and doesnt seep into cracks and crevices.

Also, if you oil spray the truck do not wash the undercarriage of the truck as your blasting away the protective oil coating. If you wash the underneath then you should reapply the oil coating in the dry areas

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yeah, but I have a friend who had his car ziebarted and had major rust. Ziebart just refunded his money. Was cheaper than fixing.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
That's interesting. Was it undercoated when it was new? I've heard doing a used car with dirt, salt, or a skin coat of rust will speed the process not prevent it. My truck went straight from the dealership to be done when new. Either way, I mostly wanted it done so that the under side stays black and doesn't get that rust coating. Sitting in a heated barn and never being driven in the winter probably helps too. The roads here are dusty and white with salt right now.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
1. Krown is great for an INITIAL application as it will seep into all cracks and crevices BUT because it is so thin and low viscosity oil it washes off the areas that get road spray super fast.

2. Fluid film is wicked but it does not seep into important areas like krown does.

What i personally do is spray my truck with krown to get inside frame rails, door panels and rocker panels and then evey 2 or 3 weeks i will buy fluid film aerosol cans and touch up as many areas as i can underneath.

For me at work i have a hoist so i just put my truck in the air after the snow has melted from it and go nuts with fluid film every couple of weeks. In spring time i will wash the truck inside and out VERY THOROUGHLY to wash all dirt and salt off of it then have it re-krowned
H,mm my Krown application has NOT washed off.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
It’s worth it to do once a year before winter hits. Dodges are know for rusting so I think it’s worth it. Here in Canada Krown is about 140$ for a truck where rust proof is closer to 200. They do everything though. Not just underneath the truck. Door panels, hood, trunk etc. They do drill some little holes though to get the product in problem areas, some people have an issue with that

Last edited:

nicolasbadran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1c5957b9923dd7012655397402f341e7.jpg9b21091c6e6cc0df8c9c031250adfcce.jpg7b34e9ab808f53e24fddf8f9b132b063.jpgca1e4e518e91e7c9c4398175c4e34302.jpg
5a0bd0333195a2ee611d19edecbe8d47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicolasbadran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is gonna sound like a lot of work but my truck is in constant contact with salt water... I just paint it like a boat or ship. All epoxy and grease behind the plastic panels.

nicolasbadran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My old 95 Fzj80 is a great example of it. No Rust

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks for all the replies

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
IMG_0758.JPG IMG_0760.JPG Krown works well and just as important in the spring make sure you thoroughly remove the salt & grime off the truck after the roads are clear of winter's residue. Not much actual corrosion occurs in the winter but once warm and humid conditions exist it is a breeding ground. See pics for my homemade undercarriage washer. The washer attaches to your pressure washer and rolls on castors. I added pipe insulation to the handle in case I hit the rockers on lower vehicles.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
View attachment 116730 View attachment 116731 Krown works well and just as important in the spring make sure you thoroughly remove the salt & grime off the truck after the roads are clear of winter's residue. Not much actual corrosion occurs in the winter but once warm and humid conditions exist it is a breeding ground. See pics for my homemade undercarriage washer. The washer attaches to your pressure washer and rolls on castors. I added pipe insulation to the handle in case I hit the rockers on lower vehicles.
I have seen the home made sprayer on You Tube w/ pve pipe, BUT yours look like the best made ! Thanks for posting