Safety Recall ZA3 - Transmission Dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone,

We wanted to come on here to remind you of a recall that was launched previously in an effort to increase the completion rate. Some 2020-2023 Ram 2500s and 2020-2022 Ram 3500s may be affected.
The recall number is ZA3. The transmission on your vehicle may experience a buildup of pressure and heat inside the transmission. This can result in transmission fluid being expelled from the dipstick tube, which may come in contact with ignition sources within the engine compartment.
Your dealer will replace the transmission dipstick and the transmission vent hose.

Please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership if you are having trouble completing this recall. We know there has been a strict part restriction so please reach out to us if you need assistance.

You can learn more on recalls.mopar.com, or feel free to send us a private message. Wea re happy to answer any questions.

Thank you,
Ram Cares

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I have had this recall open for months now on my truck. I had the truck at my dealership a few months ago for normal service (fuel filter and oil change). I asked about it then and they told me they didnt have parts. I received a phone call the other day reminding me (again) of this recall and my dealership still says they dont have parts. At this point, the truck is still driving and doing fine, and I am towing the travel trailer up to 9000 feet elevation tomorrow. I have been on top of my maintenance and have had it to the dealership for recalls. If something happens, it wasnt due to lack of effort on my part. Truck currently has 32k mi, and as soon as i get back, I plan on getting the oil change done and its time for the transmission fluid to be changed. So I am REALLY hoping while they are doing that on the transmission, they have the parts to finally complete this recall (I have my doubts though as I have called a few times and always told they will call me once they have the parts for my truck). My steering wheel heater stopped working awhile back as well, so I have to leave the truck for a day to get that fixed too. Otherwise the truck has been flawless, I still dont regret buying it at all.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Hello everyone,

We wanted to come on here to remind you of a recall that was launched previously in an effort to increase the completion rate. Some 2020-2023 Ram 2500s and 2020-2022 Ram 3500s may be affected.
The recall number is ZA3. The transmission on your vehicle may experience a buildup of pressure and heat inside the transmission. This can result in transmission fluid being expelled from the dipstick tube, which may come in contact with ignition sources within the engine compartment.
Your dealer will replace the transmission dipstick and the transmission vent hose.

Please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership if you are having trouble completing this recall. We know there has been a strict part restriction so please reach out to us if you need assistance.

You can learn more on recalls.mopar.com, or feel free to send us a private message. Wea re happy to answer any questions.

Thank you,
Ram Cares
Is this the dipstick recall that's been out for a while now and is only applies to the rfe transmission and not the aisin?

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I was also told by my local dealership that they did not have the parts for the dipstick/ breather tube recall. I am also on a 4 month trip towing a travel trailer.
I’m more concerned however with the manifold heater relay recall. I have a 2021 and I cannot get that done yet until the newer trucks get fixed.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes this that recall, that ONLY affects diesel trucks with the 68 RFE chrysler tranny (non HO trucks). For those guys that arent get any satisfaction on this, I highly recommend you get the RAM cares people involved. My dealer gave me the run a around on this and one other recall, basically cause they dont give a rip. Got the RAM cares people involved and suddenly I am getting phone calls telling to bring in my truck as soon I can.

Attachments

• ScanZA3recall.jpg
    ScanZA3recall.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Yes this that recall, that ONLY affects diesel trucks with the 68 RFE chrysler tranny (non HO trucks). For those guys that arent get any satisfaction on this, I highly recommend you get the RAM cares people involved. My dealer gave me the run a around on this and one other recall, basically cause they dont give a rip. Got the RAM cares people involved and suddenly I am getting phone calls telling to bring in my truck as soon I can.
Tyvm sir

OP
OP
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
So I have had this recall open for months now on my truck. I had the truck at my dealership a few months ago for normal service (fuel filter and oil change). I asked about it then and they told me they didnt have parts. I received a phone call the other day reminding me (again) of this recall and my dealership still says they dont have parts. At this point, the truck is still driving and doing fine, and I am towing the travel trailer up to 9000 feet elevation tomorrow. I have been on top of my maintenance and have had it to the dealership for recalls. If something happens, it wasnt due to lack of effort on my part. Truck currently has 32k mi, and as soon as i get back, I plan on getting the oil change done and its time for the transmission fluid to be changed. So I am REALLY hoping while they are doing that on the transmission, they have the parts to finally complete this recall (I have my doubts though as I have called a few times and always told they will call me once they have the parts for my truck). My steering wheel heater stopped working awhile back as well, so I have to leave the truck for a day to get that fixed too. Otherwise the truck has been flawless, I still dont regret buying it at all.

Hello,

We have received your PM that you've sent us. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

OP
OP
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I was also told by my local dealership that they did not have the parts for the dipstick/ breather tube recall. I am also on a 4 month trip towing a travel trailer.
I’m more concerned however with the manifold heater relay recall. I have a 2021 and I cannot get that done yet until the newer trucks get fixed.
Hello,

Please send us a PM with your VIN on this, we'd like to look into this further for you. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

OP
OP
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this. We are glad that everything worked out well for you. Please let us know if you need any additional assistance on anything.

William
Ram Cares

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Interesting. I will need to check under my hood when the truck comes back from the body shop (had some scratches when I bought it that I couldn't wait to let them fix first, they basically wrote me an IOU for it), I can't remember if I can see the dipstick or not.

My dealer told me there had been a stop-sale on those for a while, which is why they had 6 2022s on the lot with diesels.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
PM sent. Thanks for looking into this for us!

OP
OP
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
July 27. Reply if you can’t find it and I’ll send the info again
Hello,

We sent you a PM instead, we didn't see any messages in our inbox. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So I finally remembered this thread, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that some dealers are just putting the locking dipstick in w/o asking customers which they want. Mine has the locking dipstick, and I never was asked which I wanted.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This recall is ******* me off. Ram cares, time to see if you care. I was of the first to respond, I gave you all my info through PM's and all that was done was I was emailed from you all to call my dealership and schedule an apt. So my apt is tomorrow, guess what, still no parts. I am being told they are only allowed to order 2 a month. Ive been told since February of this year they would call me when parts are available. I am thinking, they will never be available at this point and I HIGHLY doubt I will ever get a call at this point to get this fixed. So.... in creating this thread, do you really care and want to help or was this just some way of gathering information to see if this recall is really getting done or not? If it was just information gathering, then let me tell you, I truly believe this recall will never get completed on my truck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
flashman, if I were you I'd call a couple different dealers nearby and see if they have the parts or if they can get the parts relatively quickly. See what other dealers are saying and compare it to yours.

My dealer simply went ahead and did this recall on any trucks on their lot that needed it (for example, mine, which already had the recall done when I purchased it), as well as ordered some in for those in the field.

Not all dealers are created equal, there are plenty of bad ones out there. But you also need to develop a working relationship with your dealer's service department - I have a great one, and can get pretty much anything done quickly if I need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357