Safety Recall ZA3: Transmission Dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone,

We wanted to come on here to remind you of a recall that was launched previously in an effort to increase the completion rate. Some 2020-2023 Ram 2500s and 2020-2022 Ram 3500s may be affected.
The recall number is ZA3. The transmission on your vehicle may experience a buildup of pressure and heat inside the transmission. This can result in transmission fluid being expelled from the dipstick tube, which may come in contact with ignition sources within the engine compartment.
Your dealer will replace the transmission dipstick and the transmission vent hose.

Please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership if you are having trouble completing this recall. The part restriction has been removed, so dealers should not have concerns when ordering parts.

You can learn more on recalls.mopar.com, or feel free to send us a private message. We are happy to answer any questions.

Thank you,
Ram Cares

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2023 2500, which was delivered in March, came from the factory with two cards included with the owners manual with the recall number on them. I assume that means the issue was fixed on my truck at the factory.

Jay P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Getting really frustrating that dealers keep telling me they can't get the parts. 3 open recalls 2 of which are fire hazards. PM sent.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Getting really frustrating that dealers keep telling me they can't get the parts. 3 open recalls 2 of which are fire hazards. PM sent.
In 2019 there was a recall for my wife's Jeep that pertained to the airbag/safety restraint system. It took a year for them to get the parts. What would have happened in the meantime if she had gotten in an accident and been injured because of that failed part? I know I'd own voting stock in that corporation now.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
In 2019 there was a recall for my wife's Jeep that pertained to the airbag/safety restraint system. It took a year for them to get the parts. What would have happened in the meantime if she had gotten in an accident and been injured because of that failed part? I know I'd own voting stock in that corporation now.

Same happened for my wife's Yukon Denali. That was for all manufacturers using that brand. If you were/are concerned, PARK it. It is what it was.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I’m getting back home tomorrow from a 4 month camping adventure. I plan on going to the dealer next week to get those recalls addressed and a warranty replacement of left upper ball joint that my mechanic discovered when I was in CT.
I’ll advise what happens.

OP
OP
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello,

Please send our team a PM with your VIN, we'd like to assist you further on this. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

OP
OP
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I’m getting back home tomorrow from a 4 month camping adventure. I plan on going to the dealer next week to get those recalls addressed and a warranty replacement of left upper ball joint that my mechanic discovered when I was in CT.
I’ll advise what happens.

Hello,

Should you have any issues while down at the dealer for these recall parts, please let our team know, we'd be happy to assist. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have an appointments for Thursday to replace “ the grid heater relay and the dip stick relay”. That is a direct quote that the service writer put on the paperwork.
(No wonder there’s a problem)
They did NOT say whether parts were available or not and I did not ask.
I’ll advise how I make out.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have an appointments for Thursday to replace “ the grid heater relay and the dip stick relay”. That is a direct quote that the service writer put on the paperwork.
(No wonder there’s a problem)
They did NOT say whether parts were available or not and I did not ask.
I’ll advise how I make out.
Wowzer my SW is smart enough to check and make sure all parts are available before she will set up an appointment for my truck, I would say your SW has not/was not trained properly...

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Wowzer my SW is smart enough to check and make sure all parts are available before she will set up an appointment for my truck, I would say your SW has not/was not trained properly...
No kidding. But maybe he did check. This is my test. Plus it’s less than a mile from my house so not a problem for me. I also got a write up for a loose upper left ball joint when I got the new tires and with 35,000 plus miles it has to go in for that.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Just got back from the dealer getting the dipstick recall done. They had the part in stock and put in the long version so I can check fluid level. They also did the grid heater relay but found “ consequential damage” to the bracket. They ordered the bracket and will let me know when it’s in stock there.
I don’t know what consequential damage is but I’m assuming they caused it. No one else has been near that part of the engine and I only saw the grids used maybe a dozen times as I live in Florida.
Then as I drove out I noticed the check engine light on so I had to go back and get them to fix that. Sloppy work. The tech didn’t plug in all the harnesses.
They also adjusted the tailgate latch for the 3rd time. Hopefully it will be good now but time will tell.
Ram cares you’re off the hook on this one , thanks for your offer to help.

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cant get parts is a thing.
im due for my second transmission service and they cant get the fluids for the service. let alone parts for the open recalls that have been open since I bought the truck. 2022 3500. sigh.......

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
im due for my second transmission service and they cant get the fluids for the service. let alone parts for the open recalls that have been open since I bought the truck. 2022 3500. sigh.......

If you have the Aisin you can use Mobil 3309 ATF (many hot shot owners use it) see the below photo of tag on the side a Aisin transmission, or you could go to Amazon and buy 6 Qts Aisin ATF for $70.00... https://www.amazon.com/Aisin-Standard-Automatic-Transmission-ATF-0WS/dp/B0C3SSX23Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=VLKMNILF3GC8&keywords=aisin+atf&qid=1695861469&sprefix=Aisin+ATF,aps,149&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

ASRC68  ATF is Exxon 3309 ATF.jpeg

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
If you have the Aisin you can use Mobil 3309 ATF (many hot shot owners use it) see the below photo of tag on the side a Aisin transmission, or you could go to Amazon and buy 6 Qts Aisin ATF for $70.00... https://www.amazon.com/Aisin-Standard-Automatic-Transmission-ATF-0WS/dp/B0C3SSX23Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=VLKMNILF3GC8&keywords=aisin+atf&qid=1695861469&sprefix=Aisin+ATF,aps,149&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

View attachment 529129

Exactly what I've been using in trucks I service. Mobil 3309 by the 12 qt case on Amazon $88. Use to pay $70 :(

Mobil 1 55221 3309 Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart (Pack of 12) https://a.co/d/7bBxoPo

Screenshot_20230927_210919_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 529129
thanks ill try and round some up, appointment isnt till the 16th, what about Amsoil?

OP
OP
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Can you send us a private message with your VIN and dealer? We would like to help you out with this.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

VictoyDaveAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just called my local RAM dealer and NO Parts available for this recall, ZA3, said they have never had the parts for this recall!! May need to get Ram Cares involved.

OP
OP
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I just called my local RAM dealer and NO Parts available for this recall, ZA3, said they have never had the parts for this recall!! May need to get Ram Cares involved.
Please send us a message if you still need help!

Kaitlin
Ram Cares