Scan tool that won’t break the bank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for an affordable scan tool for my 2018 ram 2500. Would be nice if it could read my 1998 gmc as well. It will need to have an ABS bleed function. The shear volume on Amazon makes my head spin.

What brand/model do you guys prefer?

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you just want to read engine fault codes, can’t beat the price on a simple android Bluetooth scanner like this

Alfaobd is really nice if your going to be modding your truck but it’s nearly $200 in total and much more in depth then most people need.
The Android app for OBDLink is a great code scanner on it's own and will work without Alfa, but having the OBDLink will set you up for later if you change your mind later.

OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok ok, what about the 2017? Misspoke in my original post. Do I still need the bypass?
These manufacturers make is so difficult to perform your own maintenance.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think 2018 was the first year for the security module but I'm not 100% sure. Order the OBD link and alfaOBD and try it without it. If it doesn't work, order the bypass cable. When it doesn't work Alfa will allow you to initiate the bleed process, but the pedal doesn't go to the floor, it doesn't ask to open any bleeds, and eventually you get an error message saying proceedure failed.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Android app for OBDLink is a great code scanner on it's own and will work without Alfa, but having the OBDLink will set you up for later if you change your mind later.
What's the advantage of obdlink? I bought a generic bluetooth dongle for 1/5th the price and have had no issues

OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think 2018 was the first year for the security module but I'm not 100% sure. Order the OBD link and alfaOBD and try it without it. If it doesn't work, order the bypass cable. When it doesn't work Alfa will allow you to initiate the bleed process, but the pedal doesn't go to the floor, it doesn't ask to open any bleeds, and eventually you get an error message saying proceedure failed.
Thanks!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
So that later on you can add AlfaOBD and you already have the compatible hardware.
You do not need obdlink for Alphaobd, it is only recommended. I use a generic elm327 OBD BT with no issues.

Yes you can do ABS brake bleed with Alphaobd under ABS Function.
Screenshot_20230329-084642_AlfaOBD.jpg

Last edited:

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So that later on you can add AlfaOBD and you already have the compatible hardware.

I'm using alphaobd with the 20$ elm dongle, havent explores all the features but so far it hasnt given me any issues. I was just wondering if its pinned differently and can do something more than the cheap one

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm using alphaobd with the 20$ elm dongle, havent explores all the features but so far it hasnt given me any issues. I was just wondering if its pinned differently and can do something more than the cheap one
As long as it's working for you, if something doesn't work the unsupported dongle will be brought up by the developer during troubleshooting.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an Actron 9690 scanner that can do both OBD1 and II. May be a high cost then your looking for but it works great including being able to log data. Need both 1 and II because I had a 91 and currently have a 95 that use OBD1. In the last few years it has come in handy with my 1 and II vehicles. Well worth the cost.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can do this with Torque, and only pay $5, versus $50. (I don't remember if the "free" apps on either app let you scan/reset anymore.)
Yup I use Torque also, but the AlfaOBD is a different animal than just code reading. The free OBDlink app lets you read and clear.

Canadian-Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Shorty (RCSB)
Engine
5.7 L
Looking for an affordable scan tool for my 2018 ram 2500. Would be nice if it could read my 1998 gmc as well. It will need to have an ABS bleed function. The shear volume on Amazon makes my head spin.

What brand/model do you guys prefer?

I use a tool I bought off Amazon called a "ELM 327 Mini" and any smartphone app. I've used Torgue - AlfaOBD - Auto Doctor and CarSys