Starter replacement- wow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTXJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had my 2009 5.7 for about 1.5years at this point. Always starts but the starter has been very very slow to crank, especially when heat soaked. I used to do a remote start when leaving the truck for a few minutes to keep the ac going, but it cranks so slow hot I stopped doing that about a year ago. Replaced the battery, no change.

Ok down to the starter replacement. Went with the OEM brand since it was about the same price as all the aftermarket parts store stuff, and cheaper than some. 2 year warranty didn’t bother me much since this original appears to have lasted about 15 years.

I watched a few YouTube videos to see if it was as easy as it looks. I have a 4x4 with a 4” RCX lift so not sure if that makes a difference. Many videos showed people removing a bracket to access the lower starter bolt, and I just didn’t see that was needed. Some videos showed it not being removed. Well, in my case, it was super easy to get to the lower bolt. No bracket removal needed. Just put a 15mm deep socket on it and came right off. In fact it was harder to reach up to the upper bolt for removing it than the lower bolt.

Collect tool, including both normal and deep sockets and wrenches in the 10mm, 13mm, and 15mm sizes needed as well as a few different ratchets. I prefer not taking sockets off and on when possible and have enough tools to make that work out. 2 of my ratchets have a flex head. Also got a couple of 4” drive extensions and a 3/8 swivel. Cardboard to slide under on and a few paper towels to keep clean.

Pop hood disconnect battery. 5min max to unbolt old starter after a wipe down of the little dirt and grime in the area working in. Deep socket fit right on, then just changed to my stubby flex head ratchet to spin off the nut. I think this was faster than pulling out the air ratchet- even as much as I like to use air tools. A few minutes to clean up the 13mm nut that mounts the positive cable to starter. Everything bolted right back in as fast as it came out. Not counting getting stuff ready and clean up, maybe 15-20min of actual wrenching.

So long story short. The reason for my wow. Wow, that was easy. And also, wow my old starter was really really bad. I never knew as it had always cranked a little slow. But now cycles over about 5 times faster than I’ve ever heard. I did an Amazon order for the part just in case I pulled and saw just a really bad connection or something but old stuff clean, it was certainly a worn out starter.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You gotta love and celebrate those relatively easy fixes that make things better in one shot!

Here's to hoping All your fixes go like that (although brace yourself ...they never do..lol) :favorites13:

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 528252
At least they are not done like Toyota 4.7 L the starters are a 4.5 hr min job they are under intakes in the valley between the cylinder banks
That's where they put the Denso starter on my ZR-1 Corvette. Yes it was a Denso, not a Delco. I never had to change it though.

OP
OP
G

GTXJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I wrote this more because if one does a youtube search for something like ram 1500 starter replacement, you will see half the videos there talking about removing a bracket. I ran across a couple short ones from guys who had 2wd trucks, and gotta say it isn't much harder to get this done on a 4x4 than on theirs. Kinda just my amazement that so many videos show people go through so many unnecessary extra steps it seems.

And of course the other wow, was how much faster the starter spins now that it is new. I also have an old 68 Plymouth GTX, and the starter on the truck sounded very similar to the speed that old car starter spins at, so I just kinda always assumed it was normal. Also have a 2000 Dakota, and I know that is a common sourced replacement starter that fits that old 440 and know it spins much faster as well.

To the comment above about the Toy. "But toyotas never break" hahaha

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think I wrote this more because if one does a youtube search for something like ram 1500 starter replacement, you will see half the videos there talking about removing a bracket. I ran across a couple short ones from guys who had 2wd trucks, and gotta say it isn't much harder to get this done on a 4x4 than on theirs. Kinda just my amazement that so many videos show people go through so many unnecessary extra steps it seems.

And of course the other wow, was how much faster the starter spins now that it is new. I also have an old 68 Plymouth GTX, and the starter on the truck sounded very similar to the speed that old car starter spins at, so I just kinda always assumed it was normal. Also have a 2000 Dakota, and I know that is a common sourced replacement starter that fits that old 440 and know it spins much faster as well.

To the comment above about the Toy. "But toyotas never break" hahaha
no different than any other vehicle parts wear out done 3 of them toyo starters in the last 4 years

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
View attachment 528252
At least they are not done like Toyota 4.7 L the starters are a 4.5 hr min job they are under intakes in the valley between the cylinder banks
What moron thought that was a good idea?? I guess he won out over the guy that said put it the transmission. This only because the guy who said put it on the side of the engine like has been done for decades was out of the office that day.

I am just picturing an Office Space like deal. Lumburg said, Yeaaah we are going to put the starter in the valley under the intake.

1694717635277.gif

Last edited:

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed the one on my 08 4wd last year and I had the same “WOW” moment. Half the size of old Chevrolet starters! Didn’t expect to need 2 different size sockets to get it off but I got over that aggravation.
Toyota engineers must be a truly special bunch! Weirdos!

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something that we often lose sight of is that vehicle design is made from a viewpoint of ease of assembly, not for the comfort of the Tech needing to work on it.
Remember that it is a "parts business" either on 4 wheels or in paper boxes, it is all about parts.
The automotive business is just a way to make money, that is first and foremost in the minds of the executives. Ease of repair........ they don't care.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back in the late 70's / early 80's, the Chevy Monza with the V engine had to have the engine mounts unbolted and the engine jacked up or wheel well modified with holes just to change the spark plugs.

They don't consider the end user ease of maintenance down the line.
Look at the stupid ZF8 xmission fluid fill procedure. The fill hole is behind the exhaust pipe and needs to be checked with the pipe hot / at temp. That designer needs a beating.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in the late 70's / early 80's, the Chevy Monza with the V engine had to have the engine mounts unbolted and the engine jacked up or wheel well modified with holes just to change the spark plugs.

They don't consider the end user ease of maintenance down the line.
Look at the stupid ZF8 xmission fluid fill procedure. The fill hole is behind the exhaust pipe and needs to be checked with the pipe hot / at temp. That designer needs a beating.
Like the 09 and newer F150s