Seeking your professional advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wycheguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am looking for a new truck. After mounds of research, combined with the wife's opinion, I have settled on a 3500 Limited. Based upon my expected use I’ve decided on a Diesel engine.
Questions I have still that I’d like opinions for:
YouTube videos show older trucks with the the Aisin transmissions shifting sloppily while being driven unloaded. Do the new ones still do that? It seems that when pulling a load the transmission smooths out and doesn’t hunt for the next gear (Watching the videos that is).
I have seen many sites and videos saying to not tune the engine when paired with the 68RFE due to excessive HP and torque that it can’t handle. Does the Aisin transmission have this same issue? Or, is this accurate?
I also plan to give this truck a 3” lift and put 35’s on her. Again research says to not do this with the 68RFE. Is this accurate? Does the Aisin transmission have the same limitations?

Thank you all for your advice and / or input.

Michael

OP
OP
Wycheguy

Wycheguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I forgot to mention that this will be a daily driver.

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many guys make 600 WHP on the Aisin with no issues. Don't think i've heard of any real downfalls with that trans.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In my professional opinion, I believe any issues have been resolved with the new transmission. You will be great for several hundred thousand miles plus some. Now go write the check. Thank you.

OP
OP
Wycheguy

Wycheguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In my professional opinion, I believe any issues have been resolved with the new transmission. You will be great for several hundred thousand miles plus some. Now go write the check. Thank you.
When you say new transmission, which one are you referring?

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I’d get the standard output with the 68rfe, it will tow that weight like it’s nothing. The reason I would get the 68 because it requires far less maintenance and has way more aftermarket support. If, and that’s a big if, it fails you can use less than the money you saved by not getting the aisin and get it built to handle ridiculous power that nobody needs. The high output eats more fuel. 35s won’t hurt anything and everyone does it. Make sure it is not a 19 or 20, they have a cp4 and they like to blow up and take out the fuel system. gotta be a 21 cause the CP3 is back.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can always rebuild the 68rfe. Not saying you should have to on a new truck. But if you tune it and rebuild it properly it will hold up with a tuner.