Service at dealership woes - RAM CARE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
For Sherman, here is what I do. I crawl under the truck, no jacks, its a truck, there is plenty of clearance. I use the new oil containers to put the old oil in. I take it to get recycled. Pretty simple huh? Anyone can do it. Nothing fancy, no milk jugs, the entire process takes 30 minutes and you are done. Not sure what is going on with jacking trucks up and milk jugs, sounds like someone making things far more complicated than they are.

ANYBODY CAN CHANGE THE OIL ON A RAM, ANYBODY!!!!!!!!

Octane

Reaction score
For Sherman, here is what I do. I crawl under the truck, no jacks, its a truck, there is plenty of clearance. I use the new oil containers to put the old oil in. I take it to get recycled. Pretty simple huh? Anyone can do it. Nothing fancy, no milk jugs, the entire process takes 30 minutes and you are done. Not sure what is going on with jacking trucks up and milk jugs, sounds like someone making things far more complicated than they are.

ANYBODY CAN CHANGE THE OIL ON A RAM, ANYBODY!!!!!!!!
As far as costs of oil changes I can get a jug of full synthetic oil and a filter for about $25. Compared to shop prices of $45 and up...just for for conventional, think I can take the old oil by the parts store every so often and dump it

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did your Ram come with synthetic? If not, I don't believe they would have given you that oil change for free anyway unless you are running conventional oil.. They mark the price of a synth oil change up signifigantly.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
When I got my 4 free oil changes at the dealer, it was synthetic.

Some of the stories I hear from people coming from dealership service departments makes me wonder how they are still in business. I've owned more vehicles than I care to admit, and all of the newer ones have been to a dealership at least once for something. While it has been slow at times (had my vehicle for a couple of days to do a couple hour job), I thankfully cannot say I've ever experienced anything like some of this stuff. I've always gotten my vehicles back just as clean, or cleaner, than when I dropped them off. Sounds like a lot of y'all need to be having very frank conversations with the GMs at the dealerships in your area.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
My local PEPboys changed the oil in my truck for $20 more than the cost of the oil and filter. But my diesels use Shell Rotella and 3 gallons of it. And I can be working via my computer while waiting and make more than the cost of the oil change.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
When I got my 4 free oil changes at the dealer, it was synthetic.

Some of the stories I hear from people coming from dealership service departments makes me wonder how they are still in business. I've owned more vehicles than I care to admit, and all of the newer ones have been to a dealership at least once for something. While it has been slow at times (had my vehicle for a couple of days to do a couple hour job), I thankfully cannot say I've ever experienced anything like some of this stuff. I've always gotten my vehicles back just as clean, or cleaner, than when I dropped them off. Sounds like a lot of y'all need to be having very frank conversations with the GMs at the dealerships in your area.

How many people go to an internet board to report "all was well, drove my *** today and nothing happened" or "went to the place to change my oil and all I got was the services I wanted without any hassles, and nothing bad happened".

Mikes578514

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry but I have to disagree with you!!! Every Mopar Dealership I know of has what they call an express lane. Punching the VIN into the computer should bring up all the pertinent information on that vehicle. I recently had a similar experience at a dealership that changed ownership, but the same “manager” in the express lane. The change in attitude was palpable

I had purchased a Mopar prepaid 4 oil change package the trip in before from this dealership, from the same ”manager” I forgot to mention that purchase upon checking in. When presented with an invoice on completion, I reminded the manager of this he acted offended, and asked why I didn’t mention that before?

if it’s in the computer I shouldn’t have to mention it

Mike

You show up to get an oil change without booking an appointment first, during a pandemic I might add, in Houston one of the hottest hotspots in the world without your Ram Care Card/number and you're complaining about the service you get.

I live in a non covid hotspot and I have 10 free oil changes with my truck. I call 7 to 10 days prior to setup an appointment and get great service every time. You may want to try it that way sometime. Just sayin.

Pweld19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We too had a problem with our dealership where we purchased two of our Dodge Trucks. A Dakota brand new. And a Ram Laramie 3500 certified pre-owned. We went to the dealership for the oil change on the Laramie. We got in line, since they have two lines going into the service area. We stated that we needed an oil change and we had an appointment. Alex said he would be right with us. WRONG. Instead another got in ahead of us. So, we ended up late to the doctor's appointment. Plus, our dealership NEVER told us on the oil package that we bought from them that there is a EXPIRATION to using it. That is a problem so beware of dealerships. We now will lose out on the package since we have been unable to travel with the virus restrictions going on.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm curious.... what did you do to dispose of the drained out oil? Many of my customers stopped changing their own oil because of that hassle, and they are getting older and the bones creak when they get up and down under the car, not to mention the fun of jacking the car up and safely supporting it. Just wondering. And don't forget the neighbor's dog that MUST lick your face just when you are under the car, draining the oil, the plug is in one hand and you need to get that rag to wipe the oil before it becomes underarm deodorant! ;)
except for jacking up, you exactly described my oil change experience.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Forget the Stealership altogether. If u can't do it yourself, go to Mr Tire or a place like that so they can rotate tires too. Avoid the community College of oil change places like Pep Boys.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many people go to an internet board to report "all was well, drove my *** today and nothing happened" or "went to the place to change my oil and all I got was the services I wanted without any hassles, and nothing bad happened".
Your local transfer station and most auto parts stores (at least here in CT) recycle used oil for free. That's where the leftovers from my oil changes go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"Transfer station"?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The OP has plenty reason to feel dissatisfaction IMO. I’d expect the point of purchase dealer to remember me and show some appreciation when I came back. One employee turned a positive customer relationship sour through sheer laziness.

Hell, my previous truck was a Chevy, bought in Florida. First free oil change paid for by GM was in Alaska. And they were glad to do it, treated me great. I left them a big tip to buy lunch I was so well treated.

Dealerships know they all represent the brand and there’s endless training on customer satisfaction and retention. No excuse for second rate service like that. If you want to give them a chance to do a save I’d start with a face to face with the service manager.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Transfer station"?

PC way of saying "the dump" :)

Our town has one, most around us do as well. Not the nicest smelling place in the world, but if you bring stuff in a car (trunk closed) you can dump it for free instead of having to leave it out for weekly trash pickup.

They'll take pretty much as much used oil as you can throw at them as long as its in a container with a cap on it. Milk jugs, used oil jugs, etc.

Also have an AutoZone nearby that recycles oil...I walk in with my 15 qt catch can thing and they walk me to the back corner of the store where they have the sealed waste container to pour into.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
. If you want to give them a chance to do a save I’d start with a face to face with the service manager.[/QUOTE]

My experience in Dealerships was that the service manager was likely the reason for a crappy culture whereby the rude employee did his dastardly deed! The trip up front to the GM office ALWAYS brought down corrective thunder. Once in a great while heads would roll when heads should have rolled.... get my drift?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
@Sherman Bird to clarify, I’d start there, because I believe everyone in the management chain deserves an opportunity to correct a mistake before passing them by. It’s always easy for a GM to rain down misery, but it breeds resentment and the service people may be unfailingly polite henceforth. And they’ll give you your due, but you’ll never get any favors or catch a break.

And I didn’t mean to imply starting and ending with one person. If I don’t get satisfaction, I’ll move up. Past the GM if I have to. Everybody has a boss.

And I fully agree, it’s most always a management caused issue. And sometimes deadwood needs pruning. Before I retired I was often in the role of “pruner”. I got asked to step in when the people upstairs heard about things just like this one too many times.

Retirement is a lot more fun than straightening out mismanaged organizations!

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The OP has plenty reason to feel dissatisfaction IMO. I’d expect the point of purchase dealer to remember me and show some appreciation when I came back. One employee turned a positive customer relationship sour through sheer laziness.

Hell, my previous truck was a Chevy, bought in Florida. First free oil change paid for by GM was in Alaska. And they were glad to do it, treated me great. I left them a big tip to buy lunch I was so well treated.

Dealerships know they all represent the brand and there’s endless training on customer satisfaction and retention. No excuse for second rate service like that. If you want to give them a chance to do a save I’d start with a face to face with the service manager.
If you expect someone at a dealership to remember you a year after you bought a vehicle there, you either use a tube ma & pa dealership in a one horse town, you you really need to check your expectations. Additionally, the service writers and sales force are not one in the same. How would service writers remember you from when you purchased a vehicle?

Six8888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to Texan Dodge in Humble. Just outside Houston.There’s a coupon online for 3 full synthetic oil changes for 100 bucks. Only extras you pay are shop supplies and taxes. Went in no appointment to express service and got out in about an hour. No reason for the guy to charge when you get free oil changes with the vehicle. FCA is paying them to do it. Sounds like a simple mistake to me. I work for a large truck dealership and have similar situations, we go out of our way to give the stuff corporate pays for.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Step-son just picked his truck up from the GMC dealer (2018 GMC Sierra 1500). He has a horrible clunk when downshifting. He set up a GoPro under his truck and you can see his driveshaft slide in and out about 2". Anyway, he dropped the truck off last week and showed them the video. Today they called him and told him they couldn't find anything wrong. He brought it home and reviewed his dashcam and the 2 guys were driving and both said it was horrible and something was definitely wrong with it. Then the one driving said the owner must be a short **** cause the seat was so far forward (he is about 5'8"). Service manager told him they couldn't find anything wrong. He said sometimes it feels like he is getting rear ended when it downshifts. Truck is still under warranty with 28,000 miles. Dealerships are just so bad these days I hate to even go to one.

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Step-son just picked his truck up from the GMC dealer (2018 GMC Sierra 1500). He has a horrible clunk when downshifting. He set up a GoPro under his truck and you can see his driveshaft slide in and out about 2". Anyway, he dropped the truck off last week and showed them the video. Today they called him and told him they couldn't find anything wrong. He brought it home and reviewed his dashcam and the 2 guys were driving and both said it was horrible and something was definitely wrong with it. Then the one driving said the owner must be a short **** cause the seat was so far forward (he is about 5'8"). Service manager told him they couldn't find anything wrong. He said sometimes it feels like he is getting rear ended when it downshifts. Truck is still under warranty with 28,000 miles. Dealerships are just so bad these days I hate to even go to one.

Is hard to find people nowadays who actually enjoy the job they do and respect other people's property. When i took my truck to dealership for the same exact problem i was told it was normal. The mechanic who i took on a ride to show him was a ********* and just looked miserable. Hope your son gets his issue taken care of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Is hard to find people nowadays who actually enjoy the job they do and respect other people's property. When i took my truck to dealership for the same exact problem i was told it was normal. The mechanic who i took on a ride to show him was a ********* and just looked miserable. Hope your son gets his issue taken care of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He said he called GM and filed a complaint but not sure that will get him anywhere