Short story long...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I love my truck. no two ways about it, it is a fixture in my life and no matter what I will fight to keep it in my life.

That being said, I killed my motor......RIP factory motor@116k miles.

So, back to my short story told the long way.......

Bought the truck used with 35k miles on it back in 2006, got a real steal on it could not pass it up. I was looking for a megacab 4x4 so I could get a straight axle front end, but the stars lined up on this one so no megacab for me.

First year of the 3rd gen body, last year of the magnum motor...having dealt with so many hemi problems at work I was not a fan, and wanted to stick to a reliable platform with high parts availability.

Fast forward to 2011, radiator split open in the desert, overheated, killed my heads.... no worries, EQ heads coming my way, hughes plenum pan, some 4 hole injectors, a nice camshaft and some shorty headers (no tune needed.)

truck was running great, then 2015 the rear end started making noises I pulled it apart and discovered why I got such a great deal on my truck, the clutch pack holder had failed on the original owner it chewed the axle housing and the carrier bearing caps. They dropped a new carrier in it and quickly sold it as an easy fix. I know this is the case, because the new retainer was still in there and had not broken when the bearings failed on me several years later. So I bought a whole new rear end and it ran perfect, right back to doing silly stuff in the desert, like pretending my truck is a trophy truck ;)

then 2018.... started to notice a slight miss at idle, temp gun showed cylinder 6 was cooler than all the others... grabbed my trusty rocker arm shims and shimmed both rockers on #6 expecting it to fix it...nope.
plugs were new, wires, cap, rotor, all new. cylinder leakdown test showed the EQ head had cracked between the valves. No worries, I lived with it for a year until I could not stand it anymore...

Keep in mind, from 2006 to now, I have driven this truck like I stole it, I have done huge donuts all across the country in this truck, I have driven it so far down into mexico the mexicans were lost lol. I have thrown my quad in the back of my truck and launched it across the desert at full throttle countless times, it should come as no surprise I cracked the un-crackable heads.

So I ordered up a set of Indy MA-X heads (keeping with the cast heads because I wanted a very close to stock appearance. ZZZzzzZZz)

Got a nice big camshaft, 1.6 roller rockers, an airgap intake, a 1000+cfm throttle body and an SCT tuner to make it all work.

Got one step colder plugs in it as ordered by the Mad Scientist who built the tune, and I spent a whole day putting my goodies on.

Boy did I get what I paid for, I could shred the tires, and I could finally pull on my buddies old 6.0 silverado...(he was not happy)

This setup has been amazing this last year. I flogged it so hard in the desert this year that I even shattered my entire dashboard and bent a rim!!

You would expect that I had killed my motor screaming across the open desert blasting my tunes and having a great time, but nope! it died on me on the freeway coming home from work, I had just swapped the trans filter out (I do it every year, considering how I drive it.) and I was cruising at 65 maybe 2100rpm, and I pressed the O/D off button and locked it in 3rd so I could accelerate and make a lane change. No sooner than I started to make my lane change it let go.

We are talking like 3000rpm here..... not flogging it at all...no warning... no pinging, no knocking, just let go and threw down the coolest james bond smoke screen you have ever seen.

I started to do an autopsy that weekend and the intake was filled with piston. I gathered the last of my energy for the day and got the passenger head off only to find a piston that was missing a large chunk of itself. The day I worried about finally came, they did not lie to me when they said you can only push about 400hp into those stock pistons and they will fall apart, and they did. very suddenly. throwing piston pieces through my intake and into my valves and into other cylinders. it is bad, so very bad.

I bought another motor, a nice old used motor, however the 2002.... uses 4 bolts on the motor mounts, and the 2001 and earlier only has three. I had to buy another motor.

That brings us to now... I have the new used motor apart, and it looks to be in decent shape for having a boat load of daily driven miles still has a 4 inch bore so never been punched out at all. but I do not want to go backwards.... only forward....

What to do moving forward? should I stick with the stock rods, and throw some wiseco forged slugs on the end of them so I can run the same setup without suddenly losing a piston for no reason at all. lol

Or should I get a little crazy and get some eagle H beam rods to go with those forged mechanical fists? So I can punch that A/F mixture harder than ever?

I don't want to stroke it because I want it to still be able to daily my lazy ass around for another 116k miles, but I also want to be able to flog it hard and not worry about hurting it too bad.

Problem is, I am suddenly indecisive. Usually I just pull the trigger and buy what I want, because I know what I want, but right now I feel like a woman in a drive through. I cannot make up my mind!!!!

Anyone have experience with H beam rods in a 5.9? was it worth it?

Do I go all out, get H beam rods and forged pistons?
Do I cheap out and just get forged pistons and run the stock rods?

Only reason I would not slap a turbo on this thing.... 4x4. If it was a 2 wheel drive single cab... I wouldn't be here writing a novel I would already be making woosh noises lol

Need suggestions.

Be warned... This will turn into a build log no matter what direction it goes. photos will be coming soon with some of the carnage :)

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum, Gearhead, you are in good company, there's a variety of knowledge and experiences here, I would enjoy answering your questions, but some will and Pics would be great!!! also go on YouTube and look at Nick's Garage he can answer your questions

And (flogged) is that pedal to the metal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Flogged is indeed pedal to the metal. I quite literally try to dent the floor pan as soon as I hit the dirt.

I am so indecisive right now... I actually looked at some stroker kits today... despite my previous statements... I think a stroker is in my future.

OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Here are the first photos. The damage as it unfolded.

1.) Spark plug...first indication of what was going to be found.
2.) valve cover off, nothing seemed out of place.
3.) intake off, found piston pieces in the intake runner of the head and intake manifold itself.
4.) and 5.) much larger pieces of pistons were found in the lifter valley. (Death Valley? muahaha)

20200729_175027.jpg

20200729_185545.jpg

20200729_192238.jpg

20200729_192320.jpg

20200729_192416.jpg

OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
1.) Looks like I'm going to need a valve job LOL!
2.) Someone call the vatican and let them know I have a "hole-y" piston..
3.) Pretty interesting how this piston broke.. I still see oil rings in there.
4.) more piston in other cylinders.

20200729_201844.jpg

20200729_201943.jpg

20200729_202210.jpg

20200731_194854.jpg

OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Took some videos of my replacement motor tear down.... found water in the drivers side cylinders...slight rust, but the pistons are still stock dated 12/01 so the block should be good to go. I need to edit them up and I'll post them by the weekend.

This is obviously going to be a long project....

RIP old motor... it was a good run!

OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Well a year later I finally got the courage to pull the head off the drivers side Looks like there was an inclusion in the intake valve on #5 and it fell into the hole and got chewed up pretty bad.

If I had the finances I would grab a set of aluminum edelbrock heads and let her eat but I'm on a budget these days (stupid rona virus)

My machinist said he can fix the head, and said it would hold up at the power levels I'm running. I'm a skeptic, but we will find out soon enough.

Ended up punching out the new block 30 over and went with speed pro pistons. all ARP hardware of course.

Once I get the heads back I will start assembly. fingers crossed.

badhead.jpg

OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Here are a couple of random photos I found.

1.) My motor after putting the Indy heads on it.
2.) The rockers exposed when I was first trying to diagnose why it died.

engine1.jpg
engine2.jpg

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Things were going well with assembly until someone decided to fall from a high place..... FML. weight matched piston sets are only sold in a set of 8.... 3-5 business days....
pistonf.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I bet that you did a through search of Otay Mesa for engine blocks

There used to be a hidden Chrysler only parts yard at the entrance to the Spring Valley Swap Meet, i have not been there for a while, he had a fair size collection of 440 parts

I had several engines rebuilt by El Cajon Machine, but they are no longer there

There is a damn good Machine Shop just off of Wintergardens Ave in Lakeside, not that far off of the HWY 67
Accurate Machine 8856 Gardena Way, Lakeside

Akodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I made the exact same mistake when I bought the new engine for my 02, ended up with one that had the three bolt holes. I thought MINE was bad, I had three rods with spun bearings, 2 broken off, one hanging about 2 inches out of the oil pan. You win.

OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Sorry for the lack of updates, doing an LS3 swap in a 68 olds, and rebuilding a 6.4 hemi for a challenger all at the same time as I am putting this motor together for my truck.
Head was trashed pretty badly, but modern machine shop got it in working order. We determined the actual failure mode here... The valve guides (the softer ones that were put in by a company that I won't name out loud.) were so loose you could rock the valves back and forth in the bores when the springs were off.

The guides basically fell apart, and caused a stuck valve... normally this would have bent the valve, but this valve had a small inclusion in the material that would have been quickly picked up by an NDI X-ray type of QA. So all the valves were checked via the NDI x-ray process and SEVERAL of them had inclusions and needed to be tossed. We saved what we could.

Tossed out the cheap timing set and went with a billet set. Got it all assembled and prepped and started on the base coat for the engine enamel last week.

Attachments

• 20210804_105046.jpg
    20210804_105046.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210914_134939.jpg
    20210914_134939.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210929_154101.jpg
    20210929_154101.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211012_134625.jpg
    20211012_134625.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I bet that you did a through search of Otay Mesa for engine blocks

There used to be a hidden Chrysler only parts yard at the entrance to the Spring Valley Swap Meet, i have not been there for a while, he had a fair size collection of 440 parts

I had several engines rebuilt by El Cajon Machine, but they are no longer there

There is a damn good Machine Shop just off of Wintergardens Ave in Lakeside, not that far off of the HWY 67
Accurate Machine 8856 Gardena Way, Lakeside
Nope, I didn't even bother. I knew better. I ordered this block from fleabay. I bought it as a running engine... let me tell you for $800 I got hosed. the holes were full of water, and the cylinder were rusted and pitted. The block had to be punched and honed to make it work. REALLY disappointing what they sold me. Accurate is a damn good machine shop, but could not help me with my woes on this one.

OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I made the exact same mistake when I bought the new engine for my 02, ended up with one that had the three bolt holes. I thought MINE was bad, I had three rods with spun bearings, 2 broken off, one hanging about 2 inches out of the oil pan. You win.
LOL! yeah I don't know if I win... my old crankshaft and 7 rods are still good. Might even be able to sell my old crankshaft for a couple dollars someday, but I do plan on making shelf brackets out of the 4 remaining good pistons.

OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Here is some post paint pics from this week. Even managed to spray a new A/C compressor to match. Have been thinking about tearing the alternator down and spraying the case on that too... but too much work, and I want to drop the motor in this weekend... it's been 15 months, I need my baby back.

Attachments

• 20211014_170323.jpg
    20211014_170323.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211022_133623.jpg
    20211022_133623.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211022_133642.jpg
    20211022_133642.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211027_163350.jpg
    20211027_163350.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
ViolentMouse

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Well Here is the first start of the new motor. This happened on the 13th of November.