Should I buy 2021 RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Today I'm going to look at a 2021 RAM 2500 with 6.4. Going to trade in my 2018 6.4.......Any issues with this 5th gen truck I should be aware of? Also thinking about a Ford F250 with the new 7.3 gas motor. A few friends have moved from RAM to this Ford and are raving about it. Any comments are appreciated.

OP
OP
R

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks everyone. Are there any known issues I should be aware of with the eight speed

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
There are pros and cons to both trucks. More so than the engine I think it comes down to which truck/cab you like better. Their 7.3L and 10-speed are both fairly new and unproven in terms of longevity (the transmission in that platform only) but the same can be said for the 8-speed in the RAM. As an owner of multiples of both I can honestly say that I have always preferred the transmissions in my Ford 's over RAM's offerings but I've never owned a Super Duty with the 10-speed, only the Raptor and it was very new back then and had its teething issues.

Your money will go further with a RAM product and I feel like the dealer network and service is slightly better with the Ford, at least in my experience. Good luck getting much off of a Ford at the moment, that was a huge part of what pushed me into a RAM this time around. Aftermarket for the RAM is much better in terms of engine mods for obvious reasons and spare parts are a lot more common and readily available.

In regards to the 7.3L Godzilla motor I have heard great things from my buddies who have them. They did have the spark plug wiring harness issue, not sure if that's resolved but it seemed to plague a lot of trucks. It makes great power but it doesn't appear to get much better fuel economy than the 6.2L that came before it and if you look at Fuelly it appears to get lower numbers from users who are reporting. The RAM with the 6.4L seems to be right there with it, 12-13mpg average and my experience with the Hemi on 35's and 37's mirrored that as well.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
congrats..where did you find a dealer with some 6.4's. I look everyday here in DFW area and only find tradesmans..the few Big Horns I see are usually "on order" or "in transit" and dont seem to ever make to the lots. that's the only reason I looked at a cpl. f-250's but both that I was interested in had 5000$ up charges on them. anyhow I bet you like the truck.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Congrats on the new truck :cheers:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks everyone. Are there any known issues I should be aware of with the eight speed

It's a pain to change oil. Who ever heard of a tranny without a dipstick and flush / fill only? And magic mouse milk ATF? Germans do kooky things, as do the Japanese.

RamTank_PGT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021, Prior 98, 01, 03, & 11
Engine
Today I'm going to look at a 2021 RAM 2500 with 6.4. Going to trade in my 2018 6.4.......Any issues with this 5th gen truck I should be aware of? Also thinking about a Ford F250 with the new 7.3 gas motor. A few friends have moved from RAM to this Ford and are raving about it. Any comments are appreciated.

I know you mentioned you're looking at a 2500, but here's my opinion on Ram's in general. I've owned a 98, 01, 03, 11 and now a 21. I liked the motor in my 03 the best, the 11 looked the best but the 21 has so much more of a comfortable, quiet ride than any of the other years I've owned. The fit and finishes on the 21 is pretty impressive as well. I believe you can't go wrong with a 21 Ram if you are considering it. I research the heck out of a vehicle before I purchase one, and I found nothing that seemed to be a complaint for the 5th Gen Rams.
FYI, I've also owned a 85 Reliant, 87 Grand Fury, 02 Durango, 19 Challenger and currently own a 72 Valiant...... so I'm kind of partial to Mopars☺

This is a pic of my 21 Ram 1500 Built to Serve edition in Tank Green.

20210519_193456.jpg

Daboink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There are pros and cons to both trucks. More so than the engine I think it comes down to which truck/cab you like better. Their 7.3L and 10-speed are both fairly new and unproven in terms of longevity (the transmission in that platform only) but the same can be said for the 8-speed in the RAM. As an owner of multiples of both I can honestly say that I have always preferred the transmissions in my Ford 's over RAM's offerings but I've never owned a Super Duty with the 10-speed, only the Raptor and it was very new back then and had its teething issues.

Your money will go further with a RAM product and I feel like the dealer network and service is slightly better with the Ford, at least in my experience. Good luck getting much off of a Ford at the moment, that was a huge part of what pushed me into a RAM this time around. Aftermarket for the RAM is much better in terms of engine mods for obvious reasons and spare parts are a lot more common and readily available.

In regards to the 7.3L Godzilla motor I have heard great things from my buddies who have them. They did have the spark plug wiring harness issue, not sure if that's resolved but it seemed to plague a lot of trucks. It makes great power but it doesn't appear to get much better fuel economy than the 6.2L that came before it and if you look at Fuelly it appears to get lower numbers from users who are reporting. The RAM with the 6.4L seems to be right there with it, 12-13mpg average and my experience with the Hemi on 35's and 37's mirrored that as well.

Tex, I applaud your analysis. Although not technical, it was very unbiased and informative. I think that is truly what these blogs are all about. Dab

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
My bias is against Ford because my Fords all have let me down. Reliability is issue. Guess I've been found on road dead too too often.

The Ram is just a nicer truck. Professional reviewers say so. I read and researched both the 3/4 and half tons before I bought mine. Ram wins most comparisons. Then there's this: the Ram 1500 scores highest of all trucks on Consumer Reports roadtest, and the 2019-21 2500 Ram's reliability is highest of all HD trucks. So even CR likes it.

As for me, unless it's got the long lasting 5.0, I would avoid any Ford truck, and they don't use that engine in a 250!

dirtymartini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am looking at nearly the same comparison. I want to buy a fifth-wheel toy hauler but don't want a diesel engine. On paper, the specs for Ford's 7.3 gas look good but I have never been a fan of Ford. I currently own a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 and 3.73 rear. I have been looking at the towing specs for a new Ram 3500 crew cab dually 6.4 with a 4.10 rear. According to the specs on the Ram website, the maximum trailer weight would be 17, 230 with a GCWR of 25,000.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you mentioned you're looking at a 2500, but here's my opinion on Ram's in general. I've owned a 98, 01, 03, 11 and now a 21. I liked the motor in my 03 the best, the 11 looked the best but the 21 has so much more of a comfortable, quiet ride than any of the other years I've owned. The fit and finishes on the 21 is pretty impressive as well. I believe you can't go wrong with a 21 Ram if you are considering it. I research the heck out of a vehicle before I purchase one, and I found nothing that seemed to be a complaint for the 5th Gen Rams.
FYI, I've also owned a 85 Reliant, 87 Grand Fury, 02 Durango, 19 Challenger and currently own a 72 Valiant...... so I'm kind of partial to Mopars☺

View attachment 248035
I own a 66 Valiant convertible :)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

View attachment 248035

Oh, man - what a great looking ride! Even a Navy guy can appreciate that look!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963