Simple reliable tailgate LED light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpowell911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought this one a year and a half ago and it's still working fine. Honestly I think they are all made by the same few Chinese manufacturers and just re-branded with a different name so probably all pretty much the same. They all seem to be hit or miss but like I said mine has been working for 18 months from the freezing Colorado Rockies to the rains and heat of Georgia.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTL545O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heat?

What heat???

jeeplj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought this one a year and a half ago and it's still working fine. Honestly I think they are all made by the same few Chinese manufacturers and just re-branded with a different name so probably all pretty much the same. They all seem to be hit or miss but like I said mine has been working for 18 months from the freezing Colorado Rockies to the rains and heat of Georgia.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTL545O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

where did you tap wires? Does someone make a T that mounts inline along the frame rail? I did this on my last truck where there was a T in the wiring for a drop to the bed for goosenecks. Not sure if that exists on a 1/2 ton though...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
where did you tap wires? Does someone make a T that mounts inline along the frame rail? I did this on my last truck where there was a T in the wiring for a drop to the bed for goosenecks. Not sure if that exists on a 1/2 ton though...

It has a connector that you can plug into the 4 pin trailer connector in the bumper (but that won't operate the reverse light option) but I just spliced mine in the wiring behind the bumper so it wouldn't show. I don't think that T exists for the half ton like it does on the 3/4 (I don't own a 1/2 T).

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

This T should work on any RAM with a factory 7 wire and will give you a 4-wire connection to play with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009FJ38Q

-K

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This T should work on any RAM with a factory 7 wire and will give you a 4-wire connection to play with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009FJ38Q

-K

That would work for sure, and you could keep the wiring behind the bumper out of sight. Only thing that you would have to splice is the reverse wire if you wanted to use that option of the light bar?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That would work for sure, and you could keep the wiring behind the bumper out of sight. Only thing that you would have to splice is the reverse wire if you wanted to use that option of the light bar?

Correct. And you can splice into the reverse light wire between the two 7 pin connectors as well so you're not altering any of the factory wiring. That's why I used one to wire my rocker panel lights and tailgate bar.

-K

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I bought the OPT7 triple LED bar. Bought the Curt 55384 T-connector. I soldered a white wire off the center white wire that's in between the 7 pin plugs for the reverse lights. I also learned that the other Curt T-connector/harness (56584) has the 5 pin connector at the end, and the 5th pin (blue wire), the reverse wire(white wire) on the OPT7 light bar can be plugged into that using a bullet style connector so you don't have to splice into the factory wiring harness for the tail light. Hope this helps.

For those that have the OPT7 tail gate light bar, did you use the 3M tape to mount it? Or did you use the brackets? I've seen suggestions to remove the trim for the hole to let down the spare tire so it sticks flat to the back.

Going to get everything installed tomorrow hopefully.

Also bought the adapter for the camera/sensors.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

I put it on. I removed the plastic trim piece from around the spare tire lowering hole. Used the 3M adhesive on the back of the light bar to attach it. Used the Curt 55384 T-harness to connect everything. Tapped a white wire from the center white wire of the 7 pin on the Curt harness. Soldered the white wires for a good connection.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I did a marker light bar. $9.99 on eBay
Optronics LED Rear Marker Light Bar - # MCL-70RB
Used existing holes on the truck to mount it.

Rear Marker Light Off-1.jpg

Rear Marker Light On-2.jpg

Rear_Marker_Light_Off

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like other's I researched the heck out of these under tailgate light bars. My previous trucks I installed 5 rectangular lights under the tailgate, but that required a total of 15 holes to drill. Plus it seemed like a little more room under the gate for the lights. I went with the Putco Blade due to the slimness and the fact it looked more like a continuous strip of light and gave the appearance of a "neon" strip. Plus I was told it was the only one made in the US. They cost more, but as they old saying goes, you get what you paid for. Also purchased the Curt adapter that "T' on the back side of the bumper, and a 5 plug wire connector. I cut the 4 plug end of the light bar and installed the 5 plug which I could now wire the white back up lights wire directly into the plug. This way there was no cutting into any wires on the truck what so ever. Just plug & play at this point. There is enough give in the light that access to the spare tire tool can fit. Also, if I have need to remove it for what ever reason, just pull it out from the mounting clips and "unplug" from the connector. So far I've very happy with it.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like other's I researched the heck out of these under tailgate light bars. My previous trucks I installed 5 rectangular lights under the tailgate, but that required a total of 15 holes to drill. Plus it seemed like a little more room under the gate for the lights. I went with the Putco Blade due to the slimness and the fact it looked more like a continuous strip of light and gave the appearance of a "neon" strip. Plus I was told it was the only one made in the US. They cost more, but as they old saying goes, you get what you paid for. Also purchased the Curt adapter that "T' on the back side of the bumper, and a 5 plug wire connector. I cut the 4 plug end of the light bar and installed the 5 plug which I could now wire the white back up lights wire directly into the plug. This way there was no cutting into any wires on the truck what so ever. Just plug & play at this point. There is enough give in the light that access to the spare tire tool can fit. Also, if I have need to remove it for what ever reason, just pull it out from the mounting clips and "unplug" from the connector. So far I've very happy with it.

Pics?

TXCOMT

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a couple with the taillights on, and one with reverse lights on. The brake lights are "bright" red, and the directional lights are amber.

DSCN0632.JPG

DSCN0634.JPG