4x4 with no tow hooks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Me: telling my wife we need tow hooks; She: telling me to buy the least expensive; Me: I need amber colored ones to match my amber fog lights $$$...
I think you meant amber to match her gold tennis bracelet she will get for letting you buy a truck these days? tennis bracelet is rounding error option on a full size truck these days.

skates15

Reaction score
I think you meant amber to match her gold tennis bracelet she will get for letting you buy a truck these days? tennis bracelet is rounding error option on a full size truck these days.
Ha, not a tennis bracelet, more like a pickle ball bracelet. She was dead set against a truck until she put the hammer down on the Hemi. Sometimes I have to close my eyes when she is driving.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
IMHO every vehicle should have a tow point on front and rear. Cars use to have a spot you could screw a I bolt into. Not so much nowadays. I agree with op you need a way to hook a tow rope up to every vehicle even if it is to help the rollback truck load up repositions lol

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also handy to have for uprooting Old and dead bushes in your yard. :)

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not all 4x4 Rams come with tow hooks they are an option on all but the certain Rams that come stock with them this would be the Rebel or a truck like my 4x4 Laramie with the off road package.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
my 2014 sport 4x4 did not have tow hooks, never needed them, But I do have tow package so I can pull stuff with that

Grenadiers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My '19 Classic SLT had pretty much everything for towing, EXCEPT for the Trailer Brake Controler, Tow mirrors and Tow Hooks.

I purchased the T.B.C. the first year for many reasons and had it installed. The Tow Mirrors took a bit longer (2.5 years, mostly searching for an option) as Ram didn't have a set of black Tow Mirrors (to match the whole look of my truck) with the power folding, power mirrors, heated mirrors, turn signal and puddle light. I REALLY didn't want to give up the Power Folding feature, as that has come in handy on more than 1 occasion while passing in/around narrow areas, other vehicles thinking they have lots of room to pass me, etc...

Thanks to Amazon, I found a set of Tow Mirrows with ALL the above including the power folding option for under $600! SOLD!

The only thing left was the Tow Hooks. Wasnt impressed that Ram no longer had the "Tow Hook Kit" available for $121.00 cdn. BUT you could still purchase them individually but would cost OVER $500!!!

I found a set of new black powder coated, wrinkle finish on eBay for $21.00 US (plus $56.00 us for S&H!!) about 2 months ago. With the exchange rate, it came to a bit UNDER the $121.00 Tow Hook Kit price that Ram once had. And before anyone asks, that is not a typo, I did pay only $21.00 us for the set and they weighed a ton, hench the high cost of shipping. The new OEM bezels to replace the stock ones on/in my bumber I got from Amazon for $43.00 cdn. for the set.

Took me less than 15 minutes per side to install the bezels and hooks.

The mirrors took me about the same amount of time to install per side.

I also have the Shackle Hitch as well. Just in case. I figured this way I am ready for pulling out any stuck vehicle anyway I wish. And with the winters we have here in Winnipeg, believe me, Tow Hooks and Shackle Hitch come in VERY handy! Well that, and a 5 ton come-along and Tow straps!!

Last edited:

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
According to the Ram website, tow hooks are standard equipment on models Rebel and up. If you
want tow hooks on a Lonestar, Big Horn or lessor models you have to order the off road package. Sorry you're disappointed but due diligence should be utmost when purchasing a new vehicle. Don't blame the mfg for not including tow hooks. Most options are available if you really want them, it just cost a little more money......

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just bought a 2024 Warlock and it came with tow hooks without the off road package. Not sure why though!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Seems like an awful lot of worry beads being clutched over a pretty inexpensive item. Wreckers have hundreds of these, full set including brackets, less than $100. Tank of gas costs me more than that.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s just one of those things. You never know when you have to pull a Ford guy out of the mud. I used the ones on my Nissan quite often!
I just leave Fords where ever I find them.
I had a old 1977 Nissan/ Datsun, long box standard, 2 wd, that thing was the best one for mud, snow with it's tall skinny tires. it was good in the mud as you could see the road under your feet, kind miss the old girl.

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2010 Big Horn came with tow hooks and I gave them away to the first person that wanted them.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 108025 miles.

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never needed to be pulled out from being stuck but use tow hooks frequently enough I wouldn't have a truck without them. I've pulled chain link fence out, pulled up fence posts, pulled stumps, use them for tie down points when strapping canoes to the roof, pulled logs out of a slash pile. Pulled a lot of cars out of the ditch with them too.

Gotta have tow hooks.

Deercamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree with Kart 20. Among the various tasks mentioned in this thread, I’ve also used tow hooks for towing a large and very dead garden tractor about 40 yards uphill to my shed (could never have pushed it by hand), raised a medium sized moose onto a game poll, dragged a 8’by 12’ shed on rollers to a different location, used a line and snatch block to put tension on trees (in order to direct their fall while clearing land).

I suspect most forum members believe tow hooks to be essential equipment, not options, for a 4WD truck. It’s disappointing that some mid level Stellantis exec prevailed with a profit scheme that requires purchasers of a $50K truck pay extra for a tow bar in an option package that includes costs for other stuff.

The Reese trailer hitch tow loop is a far cheaper tow bar “package” than what the graduate school bean counters at Stellantis offer.

Attachments

• IMG_5836.jpeg
    IMG_5836.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6001.jpeg
    IMG_6001.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 4

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Id love to see how tow hooks...bolted to a hydroformed frame...perform if the load on a single hook shifts somewhat sideways. The Ford can stay stuck, if it were my truck. I'd use those hooks only in a dire emergency, and would still chose to hook the strap to the hitch receiver.

mildrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I will be putting tow hooks on my 2018 Tradesman at some point. I seem to be pulling someone out occasionally. Just being a nice guy.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
She is not able to do too much now , but back in the day , her garden was larger then most city lots, We never bought spuds, carrots, corn at the store, and then fruit trees. She still has 2 flower beds.