Slant 6 Misfiring Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alllec8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7/225 Slant 6
Hi, first time posting, I have a 1986 Ram with the good ‘ol slant 6 and the 904 automatic. It has a 1 barrel carb and is a California emissions truck and has what I’m pretty sure is Lean Burn.

Anyways, up until recently it’s been running great other than another thing where it has a hard time starting when it’s colder outside. But it started out as a small misfire when driving under light load and low engine speed, but then it developed into it not wanting to start when hot(and cold) or a larger and intermittent miss throughout from low to mid rpm’s. The dual pickups in the distributor have been changed recently and also the coil. Thanks to an added tachometer, I notice that the spark cuts out. And at the same time, the egr solenoid will click as it cuts out. This makes me believe that the spark control computer in the fender is on its way out, but I’m really not sure and am hoping otherwise. I can do some electrical diagnosis according to the Haynes manual that we have, but I’m lazy and don’t want to. Just looking for some advice hoping someone has run into a similar problem.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956