Slide in camper & towing trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XxSunDevilsAZxX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So originally I bought my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 for towing my 14’ utility trailer and rzr xp4 1000, which it does with ease. After this last time I went tent camping, I realized how much it can suck so I’ve been thinking of getting a slide in truck camper. This way I can tow my rzr once in a while when I go camping. I do not want a toy hauler since that would be dumb since 95% of the time I take the RZR out on day trips, plus they take up too much space and there would be times I would go camping without the rzr. I realize that the payload kinda sucks compared to the other 1/2 tons out there so I would obviously need the lightest camper known to man. I already have the air bags installed but is there any concerns with towing while at close to max payload? Would tongue weight capacity be effected by being at max payload. Also depending on the camper I would probably need a hitch extender since the tailgate would need to be down.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Pretty sure you will be WAY over payload. Not sure what the slide in campers weigh but imagine at least 1500lbs? That alone would put you over. Add on the tongue weight and now you are even more over. Air bags will help it feel better but won't increase payload. Your current payload is probably about 1400lbs

OP
OP
X

XxSunDevilsAZxX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are some campers around 1100 lbs. Mostly the older pop-up style campers.

I think my sticker says my payload is 1557

Last edited:

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
https://nucamprv.com/cirrus-truck-camper/ That will do 1500 with no issues it isn’t as nice as a lance. But you don’t need a 3500

I was camping in the area and I did a factory tour and they looked great. And fairly inexpensive. I have a friend with a lance it cost almost what he paied on his truck. But it did have three slide outs

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I would look to se if you can find Leentu truck campers or Rayzr truck campers. Leentu's are ultralight pop up campers and I believe they are composite bodies with the pop up top. Very light weight:

Leentu’s 300-Pound Customizable Pop-Up Camper Fits Trucks Big & Small | GearJunkie

The Rayzr's are more like a traditional slide in, but don't have the over cab space:

2021 Rayzr Truck Campers - Travel Lite Trailers (travelliterv.com)

That and the 750SL looks good too:

2021 Super Lite Truck Campers - Travel Lite Trailers (travelliterv.com)

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Even with a 1500lbs payload, the tongue weight of your trailer and a slide in camper all goes against your payload, a Leentu pop up and your trailer hauling your RZR you'd be good. With a Rayzr/750SL camper, you'd probably be close to max.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So I basically should get an f150 if I want a 1/2 ton that can handle this lol

There is no half ton that can properly handle a slide in camper in conjunction with towing. Most 2500s aren’t even capable enough for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Actually, the Ford F-150 has a heavy duty payload package that appears to provide 2100, even up to 2800 pounds of payload. Of course dependent on wheelbase, options, etc. I haven't really investigated the truck all that much.

Project M has pop up truck bed campers that start at 400 pounds. Of course that is devoid of most creature comforts, and things add up pretty quickly. You will more than likely be over your payload capacity with your proposed plan.

Perhaps you could convert your utility trailer to incorporate comforts plus room for your 4 wheeler. I have watched videos of that and you can do it to keep weight down (like wall mounted beds that swing down).

Good luck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Actually, the Ford F-150 has a heavy duty payload package that appears to provide 2100, even up to 2800 pounds of payload. Of course dependent on wheelbase, options, etc. I haven't really investigated the truck all that much.

Project M has pop up truck bed campers that start at 400 pounds. Of course that is devoid of most creature comforts, and things add up pretty quickly. You will more than likely be over your payload capacity with your proposed plan.

Perhaps you could convert your utility trailer to incorporate comforts plus room for your 4 wheeler. I have watched videos of that and you can do it to keep weight down (like wall mounted beds that swing down).

Good luck.

That is possible, but I believe there are a bunch of special options you have to pick. I think it is a regular cab, with the Max Tow and Max Payload packages, and I believe in conjunction with the 3.5 Ecoboost, to hit those numbers. It may also need to be an XL trim level, which brings with it almost no creature comforts.

In your current truck, OP, there are very few slide-in campers that are going to be light enough to NOT put you over payload while towing. You're going to look hard and long to find one.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pop up truck campers with canvas sides have lower dry weights, from 790 to 1,785 pounds. The lower the weight, the smaller the camper with fewer amenities. Conversely, higher weights usually mean there is a bathroom and kitchen in a somewhat larger camper.

OP
OP
X

XxSunDevilsAZxX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was shopping around for 5.0 F150’s when I got my Ram. In hind sight I should’ve went with an F150, but at that time I wasn’t worried about payload. I got a great deal on my truck and could probably sell it for more than I paid, but I’m loving the way it rides compared to the other full size trucks.

OP
OP
X

XxSunDevilsAZxX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Good luck.

That is something that has crossed my mind as well. I have a 14’ trailer so I’d obviously need something longer, but I’ve seen some pretty nice looking trailer/toy hauler hybrids.

alhram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Our 2006 Four Wheel Hawk has a factory dry weight of 695lb. The newer ones weigh a little more.

Bunyan75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at Fourwheelcampers.com they have a variety of lightweight campers. I follow a ton of people who tote these around with Tacoma’s. They can be short and fit in your bed with the tailgate up, they can be 2 feet longer. They also custom build something for you. They are fairly inexpensive.
I had an older (2012) Sun Valley Apache that was 1430 lbs that I hauled with my 2nd gen half ton. It did an ok job until you came to a steep hill even after the 4.10’s were installed. You have more hp and torque, but you have coil springs. The airbags will be great to keep it leveled but do yourself a favor and meet the payload light. Pay attention to your GVWR. Payload combined with weight of the truck and trailer.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
You'll be dangerously overweight with any cabover aside from an overpriced FWC. You need a leaf sprung 3/4 ton + truck.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like other say you are way under the payload to do a side in camper, never mind it and a side by side. If you are used to tenting but want "better" but not the toy hauler have you looked in to what people are doing with enclosed cargo trailers where they basically make a camper out of the cargo trailer? With ingenuity and some work you could have one that works to haul the razor regularly , but with a couple of drop downs and an EZup or even a tarp and anchors at the roof you could have a nice trailer.... Check out cargo conversions on on tiny travel trailers and tear drops http://www.tnttt.com/. They have some great ideas on how to build out a cargo for camper use.

PS you may find building it yourself takes more time and effort, but you get what you want how you want it, and the ability to transport and garage your razor.