Small evap leak help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wareagle32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 1500 with a 3.6 v6 and the check engine light stays on. I scanned it and it says it’s a small evap leak. I put a new gas cap on and nothing. Please help.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I just repaired a med. evap leak in my hemi,it was my purge valve.The first thing i checked because its easy to get at and easy to test.mine was not holding vac.maybe start there.make sure the rim on the filler neck is clean and smooth,put a little grease around the edge.ck. all lines,hoses and connections.nvld ,if your system is like mine is also a common problem.also the top of the fuel pump has been known to crack and leak.if all else fails,take it in for a smoke test.or smoke test it yourself.i came across some videos in my research on how to build your own smoke mach. for 15-20 bucks.that will be my next project,these evap leaks are a pia.good luck

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Smoking it first is the best. And gas caps from parts stores aren’t always the best quality either. So at $12.95 + tax you could almost make a smoker. I started calling my 08, Gascap since that’s what the display always shows. :-D

Mntgoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree smoke test it first using a professional test machine.

I posted this for another person. The tubes off the valve covers were cracked on mine.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would get the small evap leaks because i would put gas in my truck when it was running.Have you done this?If so, clear your codes and shut off the vehicle when putting gas in. Make sure to click that cap a few times after filling.It could be vapor lines. But, try the simplest things first.

Last edited:

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely do the smoke test. You can buy a machine online (major online retailers) for $25-$100. I have been chasing down EVAP leaks for over a year and have replaced:
  • Gas Cap
  • Gas Filler Hose
  • Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid
  • Vapor Canister
  • Vapor Leak Detection Filter
  • Vapor Leak Detection Pump
Now I have found that the EVAP line that goes from the top of the tank to the gas filler neck, and the flange on the top of the gas tank for the fuel filler. Basically, I need a new gas tank since NO SHOP will fix a plastic gas tank. If I fill my tank up until the pump automatically shuts off, I get a nice big puddle of gas under my truck :mad:

upload_2021-5-3_15-18-37.png