Smelling coolant--not in cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeDrew71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So been smelling some antifreeze.
Not in the cab--outside on passenger side.
Looking everywhere and don't see anything. Coolant goes down enough that I top off every couple weeks.
I read in here about freeze plugs and heater cores. But like I mentioned not smelling in the cab, plus I took core out of the loop to make sure. And again not see anything on the block to make me think freeze plug.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be a slow leak like a timing cover gasket, intermediate tube between water pump and intake, water pump gasket, head gasket, or radiator leak. Just inspect everything in the engine bay, if you don't find anything, do a compression test and/or a leak down test to determine if you should check your heads.

OP
OP
DodgeDrew71

DodgeDrew71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be a slow leak like a timing cover gasket, intermediate tube between water pump and intake, water pump gasket, head gasket, or radiator leak. Just inspect everything in the engine bay, if you don't find anything, do a compression test and/or a leak down test to determine if you should check your heads.

Thanks, I'll take another real good look around those areas and everywhere else this weekend. --appreciate your response.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was the water pump gasket. Hard to see and it never dripped to the ground. Just evaporated with the heat of the engine and left a stain.

OP
OP
DodgeDrew71

DodgeDrew71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was the water pump gasket. Hard to see and it never dripped to the ground. Just evaporated with the heat of the engine and left a stain.

Hope that is all it is. I'm going to be changing the power steering pump, so will take a god look in there while I'm at it, and if that is what it looks like, I'll get a gasket and go from there.

Thanks for the response.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Get a timing chain cover gasket and t chain set do it all since you are going to be right there.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ I'll agree with that statement. I had the opportunity to do it twice when my water pump blew and when I did the kegger mod. Unfortunately my gasket now leaks so I'll be tearing it down a third time. But next time I'll be doing more than a gasket fix. :naughty: