smoke and loss power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel turbo
I was traveling down hill for 20 min. had my (jake break) if that's what it's called on ,after at the bottom I switch it off about 4 miles later I started to lose speed to 20 mph smoke came out of the tailpipe bad then I had to go up hill for a short time and I heard clanky noise and gray smoke that smelled bad like something was burning . I parked it and look under the truck and seen small area at the rear end (seal) that had some leaking .checked the gear box had oil in it but was just a little low .not sure what it can be and need to take it to be fixed (tow) but would like to know what to look for. I tried to drive a short distance again after overnight parked and it still would not go over 20mph engine sounds good but a lot of dark smoke even at park . any Idea's

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My first guess would be fouled injector(s) and/or one or more cylinders is not burning the fuel.

OP
OP
M

melman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel turbo
My first guess would be fouled injector(s) and/or one or more cylinders is not burning the fuel.
engine running fine no missing at all .Had the engine light come on after I heard the noise (which it stop right away) and it was the gas cap .no more engine light