Snow Chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MackayHFX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2014 RAM 1500 Sport and part of the deal was that the dealer included snow tires (I live in Canada). Standard tires are 275/60R10 but the winter tires they gave me are 265/70R17 Yokohama IG51V.

Looking in my manual, it says that the RAM 1500 is only compatible with "S" class chains, not "U" class.

I've never had the need for tire chains, just want them in case. I found the following chains but they're "U" class, wondering what the harm would be of using these...

Glacier Tire Chains for Ram 1500 2014 - PWH2228SC

pwh2228sc_1000.jpg

The only real "S" class compatible chains are the following;

Glacier Tire Chains for Ram 1500 2014 - PW3027C

pw3027c_1000.jpg

Thoughts? Should I stick with the recommended "S" class compatible ones which is basically steel wire with rollers or go with the actual twist link chains?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Don't have the answer your looking for however I would think that if you need to use chains you would not be using them other than to crawl through stuff at 30 40 KPH max and would not be up to a fast speed to cause them to come off and damage the Trucks Body so that said if having to choose I would use the ones in the first Pic. With an LSD and Duratracs chains become obsolete. Just stay away from Mount Tom if there is a snow storm...LOL. Danny

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You shouldn't need snow chains if you have snow tires and really the only reason people have them anymore is when they are mandated like CA does in their mountain areas.
If you are thinking about the incase factor you have to really plan out where you are going for those chains to be nessasary. IE if you get stuck with snow tires your chains aren't going to do you any good as chances are you won't be able to get them on at that point.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If you are going to get a set of tire chain's get a set of V bar chains, if you need to use them then you need the upper end line of chains. Were I am in BC I will never travel the roads without my tire chains in the winter (two sets, been in the truck box for two weeks now), winter rated tire's alone does not cut it sometimes.