S type snow chains for 60" tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
thank you everyone for your advice and responses I have Goodrich all-terrain T/A KO2 tires with a fair bit of tread so have decided to buy the Konig K-Summit chains and keep them in the back just in case.

Practice putting them on/off a couple times,where it's nice,so you have an idea of how they go on/off when you're a foot deep in snow

OP
OP
socalstefan

socalstefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Practice putting them on/off a couple times,where it's nice,so you have an idea of how they go on/off when you're a foot deep in snow
will do....although at almost $800 for being used maybe twice a year, makes me wonder if I am losing the plot!

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought these off Amazon for the sole purpose of skirting the Washington, Oregon, and Californian winter road regulations. I've driven through the 25mph traction tire zones before when the authorities are in panic mode because there's a dump of snow that's melted and refrozen to the road.

I've never needed them or been asked to put them on. They see the studded hakkas and Canadian plates and send me on my way.IMG_20231121_104942.jpgIMG_20231121_104916.jpg

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
State of Oregon is M&S rated tires with 4wd, or snow rated with 2wd.

Ya its the law but I LMAO and enjoy watching the all the tow companies tow all those dumb people who think just because they have legal snow rated tires they can go anywhere they want and without problems, I see it almost every time more than 1/2 inch snow falls in the Portland Metro area. After moving from IA and living in the Williamite valley for almost 5 years now I have learned that very few people know how to drive in snow more than 1/4 inch deep and if they have a 4x4 they are very dangerous fools....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ya its the law but I LMAO and enjoy watching the all the tow companies tow all those dumb people who think just because they have legal snow rated tires they can go anywhere they want and without problems, I see it almost every time more than 1/2 inch snow falls in the Portland Metro area. After moving from IA and living in the Williamite valley for almost 5 years now I have learned that very few people know how to drive in snow more than 1/4 inch deep and if they have a 4x4 they are very dangerous fools....

The worst ones are the younger female drivers in a 4X4.They scare the hell outta me when they're on the road and it's snowing out,lol

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wonder if he meant a 60 series profile, ie: 275/60/20. If he actually did mean 60" tires,he's probably looking at a custom set of tire chains,and he'll need his big wallet to pay for them,lol
Imagine how heavy those chains would be! lol

Boxman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6; Etorque , 4x4 crew cab, Night Edition
The worst ones are the younger female drivers in a 4X4.They scare the hell outta me when they're on the road and it's snowing out,lol
Yep, and they all think 4x4's have different brakes than 4x2's They seem to forget that just because they can accelerate quickly on snowy roads, they may not be able to stop and steer quite as easily.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Driving from California the CHP occasionally shut down the 5 freeway before the Siskiyou’s and you’ll need to keep track of the weather and road conditions, make reservations in advance for accommodation before Shasta otherwise you might need to spend the night in your truck but, there are a number of hotels in Redding.

Same difference on your return trip the State Troopers can close the 5 on the Oregon side and making advance reservations anywhere from Sutherland to Medford in advance of your schedule would be advisable.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
thank you everyone for your advice and responses I have Goodrich all-terrain T/A KO2 tires with a fair bit of tread so have decided to buy the Konig K-Summit chains and keep them in the back just in case.
7mm alloy chains with cams for your rear tires will cost you less that half and you can use them off-road in muddy conditions.

If you’re using KO’s you won’t need front chains, or said another way if you need chains on the front tires for traction the roads will probably be closed anyway.
IMG_2607.jpeg

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
FUNNY story:

In the winter of 1966, i had just been discharged from the Navy & my buddy still had several years to go, he was on leave & we drove his 1958 Chevy Wagon up to Portland Oregon.
He had picked up a 35 gallon tank, it may have been for propane, we converted it to hold gasoline.
We left the San Diego area & all went well, until we reached the town of WEED, California, we planned on stopping in Weed at a 24 hour restaurant, it looked like a Chromed streamlined Dinner rail car.

It was close to Dark Thirty.
There was a couple of inches of snow on the ground, He didn't realize that there was a lot of ICE under the snow, He braked when he saw the Diner & that car slid all the way through that town of Weed, i think the only thing that kept the station wagon on that old highway, was where the snow plows had pushed the snow off the road.
My buddy woke me up, i was sleeping in the back.
He had chains & we put them on & someone saw that the tanks were empty, back then there was only 1 gas station in sight, the town is on Indian Reservation property & gas was twice the price of any where off that mountain.
We pooled our money & bought gas enough to get to Portland.
There was no money to buy food LOL

Back then there was not any Credit Cards or mobile phones, to get money, you went to a bank, the nearest bank was in Eugene Oregon , if you had Checks, no one would cash them.

We refer to back then as being adventurous :(

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Damn! I really wanted to see 60 inch tires lol
I don't have a picture , but some of the newer high clearance sprayers farmers are using have about that size, I just did old school, with cheap stuff. Old type chains could be hard on mags, there are strap on ones, but don't know anything about them.
I am running winter ice studded tires.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought these off Amazon for the sole purpose of skirting the Washington, Oregon, and Californian winter road regulations. I've driven through the 25mph traction tire zones before when the authorities are in panic mode because there's a dump of snow that's melted and refrozen to the road.

I've never needed them or been asked to put them on. They see the studded hakkas and Canadian plates and send me on my way.View attachment 532167View attachment 532168
that's what I have been running in the winter for the last 4 or 5 yrs. still good.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I learned long ago studded snow tires tires are good/great on compact snow, but almost worthless on ice IMHO
We have lots of ice as the city don't use salt, mind you on glare ice , nothing is great.
It is mainly stopping , and steering I worry about, starting is not usually a problem if you keep the foot out of the go peddle.
I don't know if I would bother with the studs next time, they are not great on dry roads, noise is not a problem, but you have to be easy on the throttle .
Auto 4wd don't mean anything when stopping, but great starting

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Where I used to live forever, studded snows worked well on the hard packed snow and ice. Snow was so fast to accumulate that the interstate was guaranteed to have a couple inches of pure ice for weeks at a time. Of course nothing works well for a 7k pound vehicle trying to go too fast for conditions. But keep speed reasonable and studs are very good. But they are a very specific use and unless one lives in that area they are not advisable as they wear out quickly in just regular snow and dry pavement and can adversely impact driving in those conditions.

If you haven't driven with chains, it is a learning curve as they grab and let go quickly and you should practice a lot putting them on and taking off before you need them; don't wait until night on the side of the road in a snow storm to get them out of the box. Again, slow and steady wins, you aren't going to be doing 55 mph with them. You chain up when needed and remove as soon as you don't, generally on grades in mountains. In less extreme terra firma a good mud and snow tire is sufficient.

Good luck.