Snow chain Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneRanger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I am looking for some advice on snow chains for my 2015 Ram 1500 LoneStar 4x4. I’ve read through a bunch of forums and it seems most of the forums suggest you can’t put chains on without there being a clearance issue. I am planning on going to South Lake Tahoe and I am concerned about having traction issues. I can’t really afford to buy snow tires right now. I have pathfinder HT 115T 275/60R20 tires. As well I can’t find anything in the manual about this issue. If I can’t put snow chains do you have any other recommendations of what I can do?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello, I am looking for some advice on snow chains for my 2015 Ram 1500 LoneStar 4x4. I’ve read through a bunch of forums and it seems most of the forums suggest you can’t put chains on without there being a clearance issue. I am planning on going to South Lake Tahoe and I am concerned about having traction issues. I can’t really afford to buy snow tires right now. I have pathfinder HT 115T 275/60R20 tires. As well I can’t find anything in the manual about this issue. If I can’t put snow chains do you have any other recommendations of what I can do?
Google Snow Socks,but i'm not sure if they'll have anything that'll fit that size tire,but worth looking into to see if they do.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
They say there's a certain type you can use I forget exactly. I'm using cut down twist link double Studded chains on my truck. All I did for clearance was use a torch and push the plastic liner in. I use extra precaution when putting chains on to make sure there is less chain inside the tire and then tweak the outside tight. Chain bunjees are helpful too.
Cable chains work well too. Cheaper and easier to use lol.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If the roads are so bad you can't navigate with just 4x4 and those tires, I suggest you stay indoors. The chains are only going to help if the snow is REALLY deep, as in over 10" or you are on glare ice. If you have no practice driving on that kind of roads, chains aren't going to help enough to make it safe to drive. With chains, even with clearance, you are limited to 20 or 25 miles an hour. If you can drive faster than that, you don't need chains and they aren't designed for higher speeds.

Pathfiner HT is not a very aggressive tire so it won't bite great in deep snow, but should work fine on ice.

1705864362239.jpeg

If you still want chains, get cable chains, clearance should not be and issue and they are easier to put on. Amazon sells them, if you don't end up needing them and won't in the future, they can always go back.

Security Chain Company SZ143

Specs​

• Type Cable
  • Tension Adjuster Yes
  • Weight 1 lb.

Security-Chain-Company-SZ143-1.jpg

Pros​

• Versatile design works with virtually all vehicle types
  • Very low profile on the tires
  • Relatively easy to install

Cons​

• On the more expensive side
  • Installation can be finicky with small components in cold weather
  • Chains can slip off if not installed properly

Derek Mau

Security Chain Company has been in the tire chain business for a while and has worked tirelessly to perfect its art. The SZ143 Cable Tire Chain ($124) is the product of years of tinkering and seeking perfection in manufacturing. As such, they’re some of the best cable tire chains on the market.

The SZ143 Cable Tire Chains boast a utilitarian design and can be used on passenger cars, SUVs, and trucks alike. The low profile of these chains allows them to sit comfortably in virtually all wheel wells. So, clearance between the tire and the car body is rarely ever a problem.

Of course, the primary reason to buy chains for your car is traction, and the SZ143 from Security Chain Company provides some of the best traction available for cable-style chains. The all-embracing cable system is an improvement over traditional styles and provides traction across your entire tire. Plus, the rubber tightening device ensures that they’ll fit snugly and not fall off while driving.

For many people, one of the most intimidating things about buying snow chains is installation. The SZ143 has addressed this, and many users have noted its relatively easy installation design. If you’re looking for a cable chain system that provides ample traction, is relatively easy to install, and can work on most vehicle types, then look no further than the Security Chain Company SZ143.

Attachments

• 1705864627561.jpeg
    1705864627561.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: