So this is happening. Dealer repair issues - Faulty fender flair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
good deal hope they still look good.my truck they kept for a week way to long

OP
OP
JaymanUS

JaymanUS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
UPDATE - - So I went to pick it up on Friday. As expected, It still was not correct. Plastic chipped on passenger side flair and both flairs were painted an incorrect color!! Soooo. I did get a loaner truck finally. I also negotiated them sending new flairs and truck to the body shop of my choice. It just so happens that the one the dealer uses for everything they send out has a bad reputation in this town.. Just dumb! Go figure!

badfenderpaint.jpg

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
UPDATE - - So I went to pick it up on Friday. As expected, It still was not correct. Plastic chipped on passenger side flair and both flairs were painted an incorrect color!! Soooo. I did get a loaner truck finally. I also negotiated them sending new flairs and truck to the body shop of my choice. It just so happens that the one the dealer uses for everything they send out has a bad reputation in this town.. Just dumb! Go figure!

View attachment 164452
While the difference in paint is laughable. Just remember painted plastic, and painted steel, even if painted with the exact same color will look slightly different. Especially if you dont blend them.

Glad you finally got a loaner. And the dealer allowed you to pick a shop. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JaymanUS

JaymanUS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
While the difference in paint is laughable. Just remember painted plastic, and painted steel, even if painted with the exact same color will look slightly different. Especially if you dont blend them.

Glad you finally got a loaner. And the dealer allowed you to pick a shop. Good luck!

True.. Funny part is.. The first go round.. Painted almost exactly right.. but incorrectly installed.. My body shop has worked on both of my wife's BMW's. I could never see the difference even in different lighting.. So I'm hoping they can do the same for me. Factory defect should be replaced with factory matched parts in my opinion.. Thanks for the extra luck.. Gonna need it.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
True.. Funny part is.. The first go round.. Painted almost exactly right.. but incorrectly installed.. My body shop has worked on both of my wife's BMW's. I could never see the difference even in different lighting.. So I'm hoping they can do the same for me. Factory defect should be replaced with factory matched parts in my opinion.. Thanks for the extra luck.. Gonna need it.
With this current thread, you need the luck!

But sounds like you have a shop you really trust..... Which is all we really ask for. Lol

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah but that aint even close lol

My last truck had plastic body colored flares and they matched pretty darn close.

I know black isnt the easiest to match but they shouldn't have even attempted to say "this job is done" with it looking like that.

blkjeeptj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buying a new RAM is always in the back of my mind. I even go by my dealership from time to time and look. But every time I get on this forum, it seems like my ole '03 RAM drives just a little better, and that squeak in the tailgate gets a little quieter. Nah... I've had it since it was new, and I reckon I'll not be trading it for the payment and aggravation. I know the new ones are bada$$ in theory... it's the reality, that I won't pay $50K for.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

View attachment 164452

Had the same problem they kept my truck for one week and got home and noticed six screws missing that hold the flare to the truck .They never reinstalled them so now I have to bring it back just for six screws they hold the flare and the wheel tub to the body of the truck shady workmanship I tell you:Caffeine:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had the same problem they kept my truck for one week and got home and noticed six screws missing that hold the flare to the truck .They never reinstalled them so now I have to bring it back just for six screws they hold the flare and the wheel tub to the body of the truck shady workmanship I tell you:Caffeine:
That 3M tape is more than enough to hold on plastic flares. If you make contact with anything that could budge that flare or dislodge it you will be needing new sheetmetal anyway, especially if it screwed in. Go buy the screws at Lowes or something if you want and save yourself the trip to dealer. My time is worth waaaayyy more to me than $5 worth of screws and sitting at the dealer....

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
4/18 – Replace passenger side rear fender flair due to factory defect.

4/19 – Picked it up. Passenger side fender flair was not installed correctly and using grey tape instead of black. Mud flap is crooked because of install. I had to bring this to dealer’s attention. Took three techs to figure out it was installed incorrectly. Or incorrect parts.

4/19 – Apparently a mistake was made at body shop as the Driver’s side fender flare and mud flap were also removed and reinstalled with same grey tape. Mud flap screws are loose and incorrect. I was not told about this issue until I brought it to dealer’s attention. I did not request for any work to be performed on this side of vehicle.

Both sides of truck – Body shop just wiped dirt off of truck and marked in dirt on drivers side. It should have been washed prior to any body work to prevent scratching and damage to new parts and tape sticking properly. Hand prints left all over both sides along with sweaty arm prints on rear driver’s side window.

4/22 – Took truck back in to have both sides fender flares and mud flaps reinstalled correctly. Mentioned again about the grey tape and was told that’s how they install it.. I informed dealer that it was not visible prior to repairs and the factory tape is “BLACK”. I also mentioned that the body shop needs to wash work area prior to repairs and I expect my truck back in factory condition.

So I am now waiting to see what happens.. I don't understand why they think it's okay to rub dirt all over my clear coat without washing it first. Grey 3M tape on a black truck.. really??? C'mon man!

View attachment 163706

View attachment 163707

View attachment 163708

View attachment 163709

View attachment 163710
What dealership did this to you?? Horrible.

j517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to say this but the OEM flares suck [emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90]

I drove in the rain today and I am pissed washed the truck 3 days ago now i have dirt spattered all over the dam truck

Ram cares wtf is the point of putting flares on if they are non functional is it to charge more money wtf those flares are worthless when I can order some from a third party I will RIP those piece of crap off and burn them

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Krein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to say this but the OEM flares suck [emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90]

I drove in the rain today and I am pissed washed the truck 3 days ago now i have dirt spattered all over the dam truck

Ram cares wtf is the point of putting flares on if they are non functional is it to charge more money wtf those flares are worthless when I can order some from a third party I will RIP those piece of crap off and burn them

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

I hate to break it to you but no fender flare is going to kep the side of your truck clean and this is coming from someone that has Bushwacker fender flares. Mud flaps might help you

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner

Tell us how you really feel...lol :flamingdevil:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally like the no flare look. If it rains, I get splattered, oh well. Rocks and chips are inevitable with real AT/MT tires, so thats what a little self healing vinyl is for....With my tires/wheels oem flares would look fine, tires would still reach the edge of the flare....if I went larger on the flares it would inevitably cause a new set if wheels or spacers so as to not look weird to me...those big flares and stock wheels/tires/offset remind me of the railroad trucks that have the dropdown wheel carriage to drive on the rails.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Lithia CJD in College Station. It is now at MY chosen body shop getting repaired correctly at their expense. :)
Thank God. Those people were unreal. Glad you are getting it fixed correctly. We should all remember the bad dealership that almost wiped you out. Thanks for the information.

German Shepherd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Man I get it on driving in for service with a clean truck and leaving with a dirty one! I took my 1500 4x4 in several weeks ago to the local dealer for a major oil leak. They hemmed and hawed around and finally agreed it was covered under the engine/dealer warranty. I keep the inside of my 1500 very, very clean, the outside I'm not as picky. So go to pick my truck up and the inside looks like someone had been sanding white plastic in it all day. I mean all over everywhere. I turned on the air, it comes blowing out, turned on the defroster, it comes blowing out. Grease all over the steering wheel and door handle. I just left because I was too upset and didn't want to be ugly or say something I should not have. The tech did ask me why I went somewhere else to get my oil changed (I told him a friend owns a tire and repair center and they discovered the oil leak. Lesson learned. Guess it could have been worse. Just seems like there is a lack of pride in the work people do these days. SMH

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
personally I prefer no flairs with the standard 20" wheel and tire. All the brands seem to use them everywhere on all vehicles. I am probably wrong but in my mind, I picture salt and dirt collecting in the seams with no way of cleaning but entire removal. Should (hell-forbid) I get rust on the wheel wells down the road, I could see sanding it down-adding some primer and then put on some flares.

OP
OP
JaymanUS

JaymanUS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Update - So 2 out of 7 fender flares are actually usable!! Wow! I hope this is not the norm for MOPAR! Also, the service manager griped ME out on the phone for sending a scathing negative survey! WTF?? Yeah, proceeded to call finance and have them credit me back for my maintenance plan!! I will never be going back to this dealer again. Thank God my truck is at my trusted bodyshop being worked on.. Also, on another note.. The other rear wheel center cap has now fallen off. I already replaced the one on the RR and now the LR side.. clips just broken off!! I truly hope the quality gets better from here. I'm starting to miss my Ford :(

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
the maintenance plan that is in your name? pretty sure its not up to them to cancel your plan. sounds like its time for another nice review. i left a 1 star review on google for a local dealer and they called me the next day. hit them where it hurts.