Sometimes I Think It's A Crapshoot.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I bought my leftover Bighorn last weekend, and I'm reading about Catch Cans, and camshafts, and moly and synthetic filters.....

A guy pulls up where I work in another new Bighorn yesterday, and I pointed to mine, and we're talking RAM, and he said one of the reasons he went Mopar was because of a work/fleet truck he abused. Was an '07 Hemi and he said it was replaced at almost 300,000 miles and admitted the truck probably only got about 10 conventional oil changes in it's life. Very few issues, and they had other high mileage Rams in the business with similar results.

I'll probably let the dealer do my first oil change and will probably go synthetic and do them myself after that, and decide on a catch can and start thinking about a MaxCare, lifetime warranty, but ya have to wonder sometimes.

Maybe it's just a crap shoot........

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What do you mean the warranty is?... I have the lifetime warranty and I have already gotten my money back when my 4wd front end seized up all together

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now days you don't really need full synthetic for street use, even for extended oil changes. They pretty much got rid of all the sulfur.

But otherwise, the truck has thousands of parts, each with different failure characteristics and probabilities, and when its added all up... its a crap shoot :)

You will want to comply with the manufacture's recommended/required maintenance if you buy one of the extended warranty plans. It could save some hassle and cheap enough relative to the warranty cost.

300,000 highway miles vs 300,000 stop and go miles are way different. Most wear and tear are startup (or stop). Out on the highway the trucks are loafing (unless towing heavy).

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you buy a Chrysler lifetime warranty, use Google. Price should be around 2600.00.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i bought a new f150 back in '94.nothing but problems from day 1. clutch problems,body squeak problems,electrical,etc.i traded it in after 2 years of headaches for a new toyota that ran flawlessly for 5 years before i traded that in.crap shoot.

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i bought a new f150 back in '94.nothing but problems from day 1. clutch problems,body squeak problems,electrical,etc.i traded it in after 2 years of headaches for a new toyota that ran flawlessly for 5 years before i traded that in.crap shoot.

I've read the same thing about other F150s.

Guess I'm glad I didn't get one.

OP
OP
Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Like Keith Richards being in far better shape than Richard Simmons, even though he's older.......

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
. . .

Maybe it's just a crap shoot........

Ye[p, pretty much.

We all roll the Die, whenever whenever we finally decide on "Thee One".
Then wait and see how well we made our decision.

Be it Trucks, T.V.'s or a Wife.

Copperhead17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maxcare must be a US only deal can only get 7/160km on Ram as far as I know in Canada

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ye[p, pretty much.

We all roll the Die, whenever whenever we finally decide on "Thee One".
Then wait and see how well we made our decision.

Be it Trucks, T.V.'s or a Wife.

Funny how you prioritized those three. :roflsquared:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
I've read the same thing about other F150s.

Guess I'm glad I didn't get one.

funny thing is,my last f150 was a fully loaded lariat fx4 and it ran like a champ for 11 years before i traded it in.and it should have given me all kinds of grief with all the electronics,power sliders,sunroof etc.but other than a worn out front end (****tty ifs) and a dead alternator and o/d kill button,no major issues.and it carried a camper and towed a boat. crap shoot.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Talk about crap shoot, I bought a former fleet truck with 92k miles and 4200+ engine hours. Right now it's showing 4449 engine hours and 109,363 miles.

Did I mention they had a winch on the truck and they used it.....a lot? It was a owned by a pipeline surveying, building and maintenance company. It lived in Colorado and Wyoming according to service records. It had something bolted into the box, I have no idea if it was just a GPS globe or a welder, probably both.

First repair since I bought it in July 2015 coming up, I have a leaking rear axle seal, probably needs bearings too. Shouldn't be terrible. I also only paid $20,500 for the truck :happy107:

Attachments

• IMG_20170410_184941067.jpg
    IMG_20170410_184941067.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 56

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any vehicle is a crapshoot as far as whether things will break or have issues. Luckily nowadays the chances of getting a POS are pretty slim, for any manufacturer. Best thing anyone can do is just take care of their vehicle following manufacturer recommended service and oil change intervals. Simple as that and hoping you don't run into problems.

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is how they make money on the warranties. Sell 100 trucks worth of $2600 warranties and 99/100 of the trucks last a lifetime with no catastrophic failure, you can pocket quite a bit of money.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
This is how they make money on the warranties. Sell 100 trucks worth of $2600 warranties and 99/100 of the trucks last a lifetime with no catastrophic failure, you can pocket quite a bit of money.

I personally really dislike the warranty process in general. I'll never buy a new vehicle. Newest vehicle I bought was my last truck, it had 24k on it at purchase, I declined all warranties. I figure anything past the 3/36 has been driven enough to find all the mfg defects. After that point it's all maintenance. I've seen trucks with 50k miles in worse mechanical shape than many 200k trucks.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I figure anything past the 3/36 has been driven enough to find all the mfg defects. After that point it's all maintenance. I've seen trucks with 50k miles in worse mechanical shape than many 200k trucks.

Mechanically speaking you are likely correct but the amount of electronics, wiring, and connectors in modern vehicles is massive, all of them eventual failure points.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Mechanically speaking you are likely correct but the amount of electronics, wiring, and connectors in modern vehicles is massive, all of them eventual failure points.

"eventual failure" is synonymous with maintenance. Electrical defects usually show up quicker because they either work or they don't. Mechanical defects oftentimes have to wear a bit and then break. It's still maintenance, no different than replacing a headlamp in principle.

Nobody forced you to buy a laramie and longhorn :naughty:

Just kidding, it's a pros/cons thing, to each their own but you can't say that electrical issues aren't maintenance items because things break and need fixed(definition of maintenance)...:happy107:

Either way it's a crap shoot, will you use the warranty or not? If we all knew that warranty wouldn't exist, there'd just be a few trucks that would never sell because they had a defect :favorites13: