Spare tire changing tools missing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I need substitutions FAST! Getting ready for a long cross country Friday. I have new tires, but no tire changing tools. Dodge wants 250 dollars for the kit, without the bracket or the jack! Seems like a lot to pay for a lug wrench and the tire lowering socket and extensions.

I've never owned a truck this big. Anything wrong with using a half inch drive ratchet and 15/16" socket for a lug wrench?

What about the lowering tools? I've tried a 1/2" square socket and every metric and American 12 point socket I could find. Nothing fits very well. Points could be stripped. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have a 20 ton hydraulic bottle jack and jack stands. I was going to take those just in case.

Thanks everyone!

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Bottle jacks aren't exceptionally stable, so at least one jack stand is essential. Get a 6-point deep socket and a breaker bar; and it would probably be a good idea to have an extension, maybe 2-1/2" or 4" or some such length.

If you have a junk yard anywhere nearby, go there and see if they will snatch that kit out of a wreck and how much they want for it. I'd still want the 6-point socket/breaker bar, though.

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks hotrod. I'll see if I have the 6 point in a deep well. I may.

I just managed to get the spare down. Now I see how it's made. The rounded corners design on the winch make sockets pretty useless if there is any resistance (unless they make 4 point?). The guide tube is missing so I was able to get a box end wrench on it to loosen it, then the 8 point socket finished it off. Still need a better solution, I'm going to guess raising the tire with the 8 point may be tough (slippage).

The winch itself worked "okay" but it might be a little dry. What do y'all do for maintenance on the winch? Oil? Where?

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've been calling local parts stores and pretty much been told "No, that will have to come from the dealer." I've seen kits online, but all I've seen say they're for the 1500 with no mention of the larger trucks. I'm new to Dodge and trucks over half ton, so I'm starting to realize the difference (like my tire gauges are too low pressure) and reluctant to order one. Anyway, one parts store just called me back and said he had a kit for 38 bucks that he says is for the 3500. I'm skeptical, but he'll have it tomorrow and hopefully it is sufficient.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I'm rooting for the $38.00 kit having what you need.:D

I don't know what the mechanism is on the spare "elevator." I'd follow the shaft from where the tool fits on back into where the cable drops down and see what is exposed. Maybe something like WD40 might help. It would not surprise me one bit if the whole thing worked a lot better with the right tool.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
WD 40 will do the job for a short time. If you want a more long lived solution to the lube, get some spray on white lithium grease.

The 3500 kit should work just fine on your truck as long as it was made for a 2002 - 2008 model year truck.

Stock recommended tire pressures for a 2500 truck can approach 80 psi. Look at your tires and find the maximum PSI rating and keep air pressure when hauling at least 5 psi below that number. If you aren't hauling a load you can back off on the air pressure to improve the ride a bit.

Lastly, if you have a torque wrench with a rating of 150 lb/ft or more, take that with you. If you have to change a tire you'll want to torque that wheel down to around 100 - 130 lb/ft.

As far as the lowering nut, try a open ended wrench. That may work better for you.

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks Maddog. Torque wrench for lug nuts? Can you expound on that? Why is that important? Do y'all throw away your Dodge OEM lug wrench and carry torque wrenches? I have so much to learn about one tons!

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, a torque wrench for the lug nuts.

You want them tight enough to keep them on but not so tight that you warp your brake rotors which isn't a good thing. The torque wrench can be set to the appropriate lb/ft measurement and then lets you know when you have tightened the nut to specification.

All my lug nuts are keyed so I use the key socket and a large ratchet with extension to tighten the nuts. Then I put the key socket on the torque wrench for final tightening.

Yes, I have the proper torque wrench in my truck box.

20170521_102118_zpstexqnxvz.jpg

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Yes, a torque wrench for the lug nuts.

You want them tight enough to keep them on but not so tight that you warp your brake rotors which isn't a good thing. The torque wrench can be set to the appropriate lb/ft measurement and then lets you know when you have tightened the nut to specification.

All my lug nuts are keyed so I use the key socket and a large ratchet with extension to tighten the nuts. Then I put the key socket on the torque wrench for final tightening.

Yes, I have the proper torque wrench in my truck box.

Better believe it. Torque the lug nuts. The only issue not mentioned is cross-tightening the lug nuts as you go. Draw one up loose. Go across the center hub, skipping two studs and snug up that lug nut. That one will center properly. Go back and snug up the first one. Then continue to go across the center hub, working around in a star, more or less. When they are all snug, repeat and get them reasonably tight. Get the torque wrench and tighten to spec. Too loose or too tight can damage the rotor, the studs, the wheel and the lug nuts.

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Great! I'm glad I asked. I really appreciate the insight. I do worry about how many more blindspots I might have.

OP
OP
Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I was at the parts store picking up a couple things... deep well socket, etc.... The tire tool kit the parts store ordered was wrong. The lug wrench was NOT a 15/16"! So, I went to find a 15/16" six-point deep well as suggested here along with a breaker bar. While considering whether or not I had enough 1/2" extensions already, I realized that a 1/2" extension turned around backwards would work as a tire hoist/winch tool! I just need to use a 1/2" wrench or socket and ratchet, vice grips or whatever for turning it! Problem solved. I don't need no stinking specialty kit! LOL

Thanks for the help guys!