Spray in bed liner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrigley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I bought the truck new it had a plastic OEM bed liner in it. I decided to have it removed and have a spray in bed liner installed. There are 8 screws in the tail gate that held that portion of the OEM bed liner to the inside of the tail gate. They now stick up about 1/4 - 1/2 inch and are begging from someone to get hurt by them. Can I just remove them? or if they serve a purpose and need to stay there, are there shorter onesIMG_0511.jpg I can get so they are flush with spray in liner? No one at the place that did the spray in liner said anything about them.

Thanks
Mike

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They are probably screws made to secure the tailgate piece of the OEM bedliner and replace the otherwise factory screws. You should be able to get some stock screws from the dealer or on line.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Why not just take them out ? Either get some rust paint, or use filler on the holes.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This link says the weight of the item is 0.4 lbs, which I assume means all 8 screws.

But this Ebay link says it is $63.80 for the 8-pack, so...

I would do what @Ranfanski advises and just take one of the ones you have to a good hardware store (maybe even Lowe's or HD) and find a match. All the sites say the size is M6x1.00x20.00. It doesn't even have to be a torx head, a regular pan head would work just fine. Just put a nylon washer under it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Being a cheap SOB with lots of tools, I would just shorten the ones you already have. Would take maybe 15 minutes once you get the first one to the right length. Would be faster, and cheaper, than driving to the Bolt store.

Last edited:

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Being a cheap SOB with lots of tools, I would just shorten the ones you already have. Would take maybe 15 minutes once you get the first one to the right length. Would be faster, and cheaper, than driving the the Bolt store.
i believe they have a shank on them to prevent them from tightening too much against the plastic panel.

i never understood the drop in bed liners...it would seem they'd hold moisture and dirt under them creating an environment for rust.

just my opinion...from a former NYS driver in the salt rust belt.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could always go to a junkyard and look for a rear impact 5th gen…..

Call ahead to see if they have any…

OP
OP
wrigley

wrigley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i believe they have a shank on them to prevent them from tightening too much against the plastic panel.

i never understood the drop in bed liners...it would seem they'd hold moisture and dirt under them creating an environment for rust.

just my opinion...from a former NYS driver in the salt rust belt.
That's the reason I had it taken out. i even told the dealership when I bought the truck I didn't want the bed liner, wasn't going to pay for it, so take it out. They wouldn't take it out but they didn't charge me for it.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357