Starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L Diesel
Hi, Maybe someone here has an idea of what is going on with my truck. I have a 2012 Diesel 2500. Normally when I start the engine, 2 lights come on, the ETC and Wait to Start lights. Sometimes these lights do not come up first. The fuel low light(Fuel Pump) comes up first in the middle window. then switches to 4 wheel drive error. I forget what pops up in the left window. When this happens the truck will not start. When it is normal, I can hear something under the hood energizing. This does not happen when the wrong lights come on first.

Went to local dealer and I don't think they know what it is. Had me change the AntiLock Break Module. And reprogramed truck and keys.

Thanks.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
It's hard to say on something like that without the truck in front of me but the only thing I can think is an issue with the connector under the driver floor behind the wheel liner that connects the body to chassis harness. The fuel pump, fuel level warning sensor, 4x4 stuffz, rear lighting, camera and alot of other things run through that. no fuel pump actuation no start. Could be something bringing down the BUS too but again without it in front of me it's hard to say for sure

OP
OP
C

Cajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L Diesel
Thanks recian, I thought I checked the connector but maybe I didn't. All I know at this point, I can't keep throwing money to the dealer to attempt to fix. Yesterday they even told me I don't have to wait for the Wait to Start light to go off before starting. Also, what are you referring to with BUS?

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Hi, Maybe someone here has an idea of what is going on with my truck. I have a 2012 Diesel 2500. Normally when I start the engine, 2 lights come on, the ETC and Wait to Start lights. Sometimes these lights do not come up first. The fuel low light(Fuel Pump) comes up first in the middle window. then switches to 4 wheel drive error. I forget what pops up in the left window. When this happens the truck will not start. When it is normal, I can hear something under the hood energizing. This does not happen when the wrong lights come on first.

Went to local dealer and I don't think they know what it is. Had me change the AntiLock Break Module. And reprogramed truck and keys.

Thanks.
From what you are saying, it sounds like your manifold grid heater is not coming on when the ignition key is turned to the on position when this no start occurs. I wonder if you could use a volt meter to test the wiring going to the start-up heater when this no start anomaly happens to see if there is current going to it. It sounds like a problem with a connection and it could be a ground wiring that is not making full ground contact intermittently. These type of things can be hard to nail down to the root cause. Again, check ground wires, as there are several grounding places on these trucks.

OP
OP
C

Cajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L Diesel
From what you are saying, it sounds like your manifold grid heater is not coming on when the ignition key is turned to the on position when this no start occurs. I wonder if you could use a volt meter to test the wiring going to the start-up heater when this no start anomaly happens to see if there is current going to it. It sounds like a problem with a connection and it could be a ground wiring that is not making full ground contact intermittently. These type of things can be hard to nail down to the root cause. Again, check ground wires, as there are several grounding places on these trucks.

I knoticed this when it does the wrong sequence. I can shift the truck out of park without stepping on break .When it goes through correct sequence, the truck cannot be shift out park without stepping on break .This is of course without the truck started. Don't know if this has anything to do with it.

OP
OP
C

Cajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Also do you have an idea where the grid heater connector is located? I do have a meter to check voltages

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45