starts and runs till its warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtdodgeboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I have a 5.9l gas motor in a 2000 ram 2500 it started hard when we first got it now it will start somewhat easy and then idles fine. But after it gets warm it will idle up ad down and eventually die and then won't start. New plugs wires are fine it has no brakes working on it. When I turn the key and wait for the pump I can hear it run and then stop and try to start after its warm it won't start didn't have any starting fluid on me at the time. Help would be appreciated thanks.

OP
OP
V

vtdodgeboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
P0505 the iac valve and p0320 crankshaft sensor. It only shows the crank sensor code sometimes. I know the truck wont start when that code is thrown. But I can also tell that the fuel rails dont have a lot of pressure. Not sure what normal pressure would be. But looking into it. It doent make sense that the truck wouldnt start if just the iac valve wasnt working it just means it wouldnt idle well. So I have come to the conclusion that the **** needs to be replaced regardless, it did sit for 5 years of no use. I will post after I get this stuff repleced to see if it fixxed the problem.

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
i'm willing to bet you have a bent flex plate. which could be why you only get the crank sensor code sometimes. when the engine warms up, the flex plate could twist a bit to throw the magneto ring off center with the sensor, causing it to not run.

just a thought.

OP
OP
V

vtdodgeboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Never thought of that worth a look. I mean its not like it just went on drive for an hour warm i.mean sittng for maybe 5 mins in 20 degree weather. Would it cause the plate to flex that much. It did sit for 5 years could that have causwd the plate to warp?