Steering Angle Sensor Reset Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thephpguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just replaced my clock spring in my 2012 Ram 2500.

The ESP light is now on and Cruise control doesn't work. I think this is normal.

I have a Innova 3160rs scanner tool that appears to have a SAS caibration on it. It is failing.

You can watch me do it here:

The end error I am getting is:
"Unable to clear ABS DTCs. ESP Sensor Initialization failed."

I have tried this a number of times with the same result.
I have tried it without manually clearing the codes and then I manually cleared all the codes and tried it again.

I am working with the latest firmware. 2022. I downloaded and updated my scanner firmware last night. (4/26/2022)

Am I doing something stupid here?
Is this scanner not capable of this?

Is there maybe a cable not seated correctly?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
T

Thephpguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here is the response I got back from Innova Tech support:
- Possibly a bad ground wire that attaches to the Cruise Control Servo unit.
- Possibly the Servo unit, but this isn't common.
- Faulty connector or dirty connection from the wiring harness and below the steering wheel column

As seen in the video, there are no ABS codes present in vehicle according to the 3160RS, but the 3160RS is telling you "Unable to clear ABS DTCs. ESP Sensor Initialization failed." If you already haven't, look under the powertrain codes. Sometimes, ABS codes will show up here if it's a communication issue between the PCM and ABS modules.

I tested the ground and my ohms was reading 0. I assume ground was good. Assuming I was testing the right connection. I don't really know what I am doing so I might not have tested the Cruise Control Servo unit? I checked the steering sensor wires and everything else that connects to the clockspring.

I unpluged and cleaned all the connectors to no avail.

How I solved it:
1. I hooked up the scanner tool.
2. Pulled up the Steering angle sensor.
3. It was reporting I was off by 180+ degrees.
4. Detached the steering sensor from the back of the clock spring.
5. Manually turning the white plastic gear till the scanner read 0 degrees.
6. Re attached the steering sensor to the clock spring in the position 0 where the steering wheel will be in the strait-forward position. (Technically I was off by about 1 degree because it's so sensitive.)
7. Re-attached everyting and test drove. No lights on the dash.
I am not sure the tolerence exactly, but I know if my steering wheel sensor was reporting it was off by 60* (or greater) it immediately threw the ESP light and cruise wouldn't work.

But being off by about 1* is not a problem apparently.
I would have liked to have gotten this fixed properly but I don't know where to go from here. I'm only pretending to know what I do know and it's working right now so I'll leave well enough alone.
Hope this helps someone in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam