steering column play - not the lower bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
So I've been battling steering play in my truck since day one. I started with a complete front end rebuild including the box and the rock solid bushing. That gave me back most of the steering feel I was missing but it's never been 100%. I had that rock solid bushing out 3 or 4 times sanding and greasing it until i got the fitment just right. I even went through probably 3 steering boxes until I finally found a good one. Now my front end is tight and tire wear has been great the fast few years but I have always had slop, noises, and a strange on center feel. I noticed a few weeks ago that the column has a ton of play in every direction right where it comes out of the firewall. Too bad nobody makes a bushing to go in there. I have seen threads on other forums with people using anything from rope to cut up radiator hoses to a machined delrin sleeve. What have you guys used for this? Is there a fix somewhere that I haven't found?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Anyone have any input on this? Also is the column the same for the 98+ except for the steering wheel, clockspring, etc? I may just get one from the junkyard if that's the case.