steering gear box issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
Got it all up in the truck and the handling is allot better now I just need shocks

99 Ram sport 1500 5.2 2wd

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Let me give some advice on the shocks. I bought monroes budget shock that was suppossed to b ok for trucks....NOT. Horrible, way underpowered for a big truck. Took em back, got the "Magnums" which were twice as much and are "heavy duty".....NOT!! These things suck, gona b replacing soon, but dont know what would b comparable to the oem shocks, which in my opinion, kik butt.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me give some advice on the shocks. I bought monroes budget shock that was suppossed to b ok for trucks....NOT. Horrible, way underpowered for a big truck. Took em back, got the "Magnums" which were twice as much and are "heavy duty".....NOT!! These things suck, gona b replacing soon, but dont know what would b comparable to the oem shocks, which in my opinion, kik butt.

Most comfortable shocks? dead ones.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
Well as long as I don't hear them rattling and not have as much body roll I will be fine. I also might have to play with the position of the Pitman arm if I notice the truck turning sharper in One Direction than the other. Do any of y'all know how to tell if I have it in the wrong position besides the difference in how far the wheels turn from side to side?

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well as long as I don't hear them rattling and not have as much body roll I will be fine. I also might have to play with the position of the Pitman arm if I notice the truck turning sharper in One Direction than the other. Do any of y'all know how to tell if I have it in the wrong position besides the difference in how far the wheels turn from side to side?

Take it to an alignment shop, i might be a little over cofident but there is only a couple things i wont **** with my self and thats rebuilding an auto tranny or doing an alignment. I've never done it but id rebuild an engine all day no worries. Its like 50 bucks for an alignment, wait for shocks and get an alignment.

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum

"body roll", thats exactly why I do not recommend monroes. They cant handle the weight of the truck. The only way I can think to check the pitman arm is to measure how far the tires extend out full tilt both ways. The pitman arm has 4 notches to align on the steering gear, so you can only get it so close.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I already got an alignment because the wheels were pointing at each other I could feel how much the truck had to work to go forward once I got on the road. What shocks do y'all recommend I have the rear of the truck dropped 2 inches to level the truck. and would there be a difference in the gear box's center vs it being turned? And thank y'all for the advice.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ranchos on my 85 f150 were stiff like stiff then some more stiff, then again i was sitting on 8 in of lift with 2 in body lift sitting on 40 in tires with a dual front shock setup. My back still hurts from that thing being my daily, kind of sounds like what you're looking for. On the other hand I've never put in budget shocks that weren't comfortable from the get go, but i'm sure they're out there.

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I've read here the bilsteins 5100 are good shocks. Probly what im gona end up getting. The monroes are comfy rolling straight down the highway on a perfectly flat road.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
Alright I will probably try those once I save up the money for them again