Steering linkage recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucky8926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
About 4 years ago I had the recall “fix” on my 2014 2500 concerning the outboard steering linkage jam nut may loosen allowing one end of the drag links to separate. Their fix was to tac weld tye nut so it doesn’t loosen. Seems like a pretty bad fix if you ask me because now I need to get an alignment and obviously it can’t be done properly with the jam nuts welded. Do you think Ram will replace the steering linkage for free when I get the alignment done? I would think they’ve come up with a better fix for it by now.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
doubt you would get any money from Ram. but if it was me, I would take it to a dealer to get it done and point out to the service rep. that the existing repair was done by a Ram service department. you might be able to get the regional svc. rep to ok part of the bill at least.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About 4 years ago I had the recall “fix” on my 2014 2500 concerning the outboard steering linkage jam nut may loosen allowing one end of the drag links to separate. Their fix was to tac weld tye nut so it doesn’t loosen. Seems like a pretty bad fix if you ask me because now I need to get an alignment and obviously it can’t be done properly with the jam nuts welded. Do you think Ram will replace the steering linkage for free when I get the alignment done? I would think they’ve come up with a better fix for it by now.
At the root level, the idea of welding the nut is kind of a "Hillbilly" way to fix it. (Hold my beer, Ethyl!) ;) With the mega-bucks the company has/ had at their disposal, a better fastener which would have retained adjustability would have been on a much better level of common sense.

Your truck is nearly 10 years old. Ram and all the other Automotive manufacturing entities would prefer you buy a new truck!
if it were my truck, it would have been fixed to a more satisfactory repair long before now.

I'm dealing with the same moronic slant with Ford. Seems like my almost 20 year old Ranger was recalled a LONG time ago for replacement of the passenger air bag. NOW, the idiots have re-recalled it because some dolt(s) might have installed it(them) upside down! Since it is a pickup truck, and I can turn off the passenger air bag, I do.