Steering wheel with audio controls.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey folks, if I buy steering wheel that has audio controls, is it a plug and ply swap? I’m assuming the canbus wiring should Abe there already? Or no? And will it needs programming? This is my current wheel. Or, could the volume controls be added to the current wheel?
Thanks.B2E4FF88-1BF7-41FB-B992-47C8BA05E46D.jpeg

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes
Hey folks, if I buy steering wheel that has audio controls, is it a plug and ply swap? I’m assuming the canbus wiring should Abe there already? Or no? And will it needs programming? This is my current wheel. Or, could the volume controls be added to the current wheel?
Thanks.View attachment 524957
Yes plug and play swap (compatible years) and yes controls can be added to your current wheel.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
Be very careful if you do this swap. Make sure you count any time you turn the wheel. If you move that steering mechanism and don't get it exactly the same your steering wheel will be hard to get centered. It also screws up some of the sensors in that steering column. It can get expensive to repair quickly.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There are lots of videos on YouTube for doing the swap and/or install the control kit. I'm told this tool will make taking the air bag off much easier ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QWMHMP/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 )...I'm not an anxious person, but I once described my feelings while removing the airbag as "it felt like disarming the toilet bomb in Lethal Weapon".
Haha, i know know the feeling! Done it many times when i was building my audis and bimmers in the past, as well as once on the Ram as well. And i know people that had airbags blow while doing that. Its that and the other one always was the. "widowmaker" which was the factory jack that came with the audis at one point. The name implies the result haha.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sorry to hijack, but will the add on work with the 5" or just the 8.4"

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sorry to hijack, but will the add on work with the 5" or just the 8.4"
From what i'm reading looks like should work with either. ra2 as well

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
There are lots of videos on YouTube for doing the swap and/or install the control kit. I'm told this tool will make taking the air bag off much easier ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QWMHMP/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 )...I'm not an anxious person, but I once described my feelings while removing the airbag as "it felt like disarming the toilet bomb in Lethal Weapon".

Thanks for posting the tool. I had to remove an airbag from a Jeep recently without the tool and it was heck poking & hoping to get those clips free. I might order it just incase for next time.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for posting the tool. I had to remove an airbag from a Jeep recently without the tool and it was heck poking & hoping to get those clips free. I might order it just incase for next time.
Someone on here pointed it out to me too. It definitely would have made things easier...

JmGuTe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all sorry for reviving an old thread but I just added the audio controls to my 2013 Ram. Everything worked at first but now after putting everything back together I cannot scroll through the cluster menu. Its stuck at the MPH screen. The VR or phone buttons don't do anything. Seems like something is backwards because now the back button (left arrow) toggles the voice command. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey all sorry for reviving an old thread but I just added the audio controls to my 2013 Ram. Everything worked at first but now after putting everything back together I cannot scroll through the cluster menu. Its stuck at the MPH screen. The VR or phone buttons don't do anything. Seems like something is backwards because now the back button (left arrow) toggles the voice command. Any thoughts?
Installed backwards maybe? It's been a while since last I was in the steering wheel.

JmGuTe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I thought that too but the connector only goes in one way. Just tore it apart and put in the original one and works fine, and audio buttons still work. Thinking its a junk switch which wouldn't be far from the truth since I got it off of eflay. Oh well I really only wanted the audio controls so i'm still ahead!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah I thought that too but the connector only goes in one way. Just tore it apart and put in the original one and works fine, and audio buttons still work. Thinking its a junk switch which wouldn't be far from the truth since I got it off of eflay. Oh well I really only wanted the audio controls so i'm still ahead!
Well since you've seen the harness you can tell it is VERY easy to break. There was actually a recall for this where they added a retainer to the harness to keep it from breaking under normal operation. When I added my steering wheel controls I shorted the harness which resulted in the horn blaring as soon as I reconnected the battery. The recall is R36...