Step Bar Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thale51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I've recently developed a rattle from my driver side step bar when going over bumps. It's loud enough to the point where it is painfully noticeable in the cab while driving, and happens almost constantly. I can replicate the sound by smacking the step bar and seeing it flex. I have checked all of the bolts on the bar and the connections from the mounts to the rocker panel and they are all as tight as they can be. Before I go dropping $$ on a new set of step bars, can the ones I have be fixed to where the noise stops?

Aces and 8s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penstar 3.6L
Tedious, but get under there while having someone else replicate the noise until you find where exactly it is coming from. Chasing noise issues is a PITA, but oh so satisfying once you find the source and correct it.

OP
OP
Thale51

Thale51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's definitely coming from the front of the step bar on the driver's side. If I sit in the truck and stomp my foot on that end of the bar, I can replicate the sound exactly. There's a good bit of slop/flex right there, but everything is tight. I think the mounting hardware has been flexed/warped somehow and that's what is causing it. I just got back from a quick trip to Nashville, and it was rattling damn near the whole way there and back on the interstate.

Tpearson515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's definitely coming from the front of the step bar on the driver's side. If I sit in the truck and stomp my foot on that end of the bar, I can replicate the sound exactly. There's a good bit of slop/flex right there, but everything is tight. I think the mounting hardware has been flexed/warped somehow and that's what is causing it. I just got back from a quick trip to Nashville, and it was rattling damn near the whole way there and back on the interstate.
Aftermarket or OEM steps, had the same issue, I pulled mine, bought some foam tape from napa and cut out where the holes were, lined it up where there was metal to metal to mounting and re installed with blue loctite, no more noise, hope this helps I known the pain it was driving me insane.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
do these use rivnuts at all? i have Westin aftermarkets that i had to use some of the rivnuts in the kit on as some rams come with pre threaded holes, some just a hole but no threads so you have to use rivnuts. It could be a loose rivnut maybe that feels tight but it's not. I had this experience on my truck and tightened all of mine bolts with wrench but didn't torque them the first time and they felt pretty tight (i was worried too tight i'd snap them as not likely the bolts were hardened) So I got my torque wrench out and did them all to spec. i was surprised how much further most of them needed to be tightened to meet torque spec..I think there was 6 to 8 rivnuts for my 6 supports. The rivnuts used by Westin if I recall where a kind where the diameter expanded to snug up against the holes edges...Not like the rivnuts on a deezee tailgate assist which bend over behind the hole and kind of clamp the nut in.