Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ram Forum :

Stereo works intermittently

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by KOCONUT, May 15, 2019.

1. KOCONUT

KOCONUT Junior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    8.0 V10
    So I've done some searching on the forum and haven't found the exact problem I'm having with my stereo. I have a 96 ram 2500 with the factory infinity system. I replaced the head unit and the two front speakers. I got a pigtail adapter to plug into the factory harness. Randomly, the stereo will cease to function. I get no radio, no Bluetooth, nothing. Sometimes if I shut the truck off and open/close the passenger door the stereo will come back on when I restart the truck. Turning the stereo on/off will sometimes get it working also. When the stereo is not working I get a faint static out of the speakers and get a click like an amp is trying to get switched on. When I shut the stereo off the static stops. I had thought that the amp for the factory system was built into the factory speakers that I replaced so then it wouldnt matter. I can't seem to get the proplem to replicate or find a remedy for it and it's driving me nuts.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    does the radio appear to still be working and just no sound coming out of the speakers? i had something similar happen with a stereo once. the stereo didn't like the old speakers i had installed but had no issue with the brand new ones. still don't understand it. that click may be the choke relay that powers the speaker amps.

3. KOCONUT

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    8.0 V10
    The head unit still works. It will turn on and cycle between audio inputs/sources but has a quiet static coming from the speakers. It will connect to my phone and everything, just no sound coming from the speakers. I'll drive to work with no radio, then when I get in the truck to go home, it will work again and everything is good. I'm about to just wire the speakers directly to the head unit and bypass the factory harness. I have no dash at the moment so there's easy access to the head unit.

4. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    you can use a multi meter to test if there is any resistance in the wires running to the speakers. according to the wiring diagrams there shouldn't be anything between the stereo and speaker on the stock wiring. are the rear speakers still stock? if so i would try disconnecting them from the stereo when you are having issues and see if it fixes your issue.

5. 0rion

0rion Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    How did you connect the wires when you out it in? Solder them, wire nuts, or twist and black tape. Sounds like a bad connection to me somewhere and I would start with the ground wire.

6. KOCONUT

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    8.0 V10
    I crimped all the connections from the new head unit to the harness adapter. The radio turns on with the truck every time, just the speakers sometimes won't produce any audio

7. KOCONUT

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    8.0 V10
    Checked the ground connection for the harness and the connector that bolts to the rear of the factory head unit was loose inside of it's crimping and slid right off. I decided to crimp on a new connector and now the radio seems to be working. Hopefully that was the permanent fix...[​IMG]

8. madtrucker2016

madtrucker2016 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Thats why I don't like those crimp butt splices nothing but problems

9. 0rion

0rion Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    Hopefully that wAs your issue.....drive it a few days an update to let us know. Makes sense to me if it was a ground. Those butt connectors I've used but not a fan...it's my last choice but when I do I crimp the shit out of them....but not too much because it's easy to cut that wire or even crimp. I just prefer not to use them unless I'm backed into a corner....or just being lazy haha

10. KOCONUT

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    8.0 V10
    Took the truck to work this morning and.....no radio again! Is there another amp or switched component for the radio hidden in the dash somewhere? I thought I got rid of the factory amps when I changed the front speakers.