Sticky brakes at low speed, please help before the snow!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jono

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 with the 318 (5.2). Recently my brakes have started to grab super tight at speeds under 10 mph. They will screech the tires and stop instantly. They don't lock, just grab super tight. At all other speeds they work perfect. I can manage it with a light foot in dry weather, but I fear that in snow and ice, it's going to just lock up. My first inclination is that it's something to do with the abs system, but I'm an amateur in that dept. Brake work scares me. Any advice or experiences with this problem would be much appreciated, thank you all in advance

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
take the wheels apart. either you need a new rotor or bearings. I had one where the inner bearing was failing and the brakes would lock in the front when any more than normal stops were required.
does it pull at all when braking? if so take apart the side it pulls towards first. I'd replace and pack bearings with fresh grease.

i would check rear brakes as well. if rears are not providing ant stopping power, it could be just your fronts are doing all the braking.

I'm sure you'll find the problem if you check this stuff.

rr