storing my truck for the winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I just traded my 2018 ram 3500 with the 6.4 hemi that i had from new for a 2017 ram 3500 with the 6.7 cummins 28,*** miles on it and i never drivin my previous truck in winter and not planning on driving this truck in winter. so i always put sta-bil in and put the truck on jack stands and a trickle charger on it. this is my first diesel truck and is it kinda the same by putting a fuel stabilizer in it? and what about the DEF fluid? and is there anything else that needs to be done before i park it for the winter?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My 3500 was bought to tow and I tow nothing in the winter so it gets parked in the garage and I run my 1500 for the winter.
This is what I do. I park it in one of my garage bays and place plywood under the tires to stop the cement from moister wicking the tires. I also inflate the tires up to 80 pounds each. The DEF, I do nothing. Since stations switch over to winter diesel well before I put it up, the fuel has no need to be treated, it already is. I connect a Battery Tender to the batteries, car cover the truck, place a DampRid moister absorber in the cab, and kiss her good night.

Depending on where you are going to store your vehicle you may also want to place rodent sticky pads on the battery covers and place a large cup over the exhaust outlet.

Come spring, the truck gets a bath and waxed, oil change, new fuel filters, tire pressure adjustments, top off the DEF, and interior cleaning.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Same here, the winter is when I need a tough truck for all the crappy roads and elements out here. If you store it, def protect that electrical, rats love toasty lil spots with wires and insulation. Good Luck.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I do winterize my motorcycles...
SeaFoam in the tank and Battery Tenders on the batteries...
Usually on a couple boards for protection from the cement.
(Not sure if Seafoam is recommended for diesels)

garage.jpg

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would use a battery "tender" and not a trickle charger. I used Power Service in my diesel on a regular basis as a fuel conditioner, never worried about if the truck sat for a long time.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I store mine for the winter.
Battery tender.
Full tank of gas with blue Stabil added.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Same here, the winter is when I need a tough truck for all the crappy roads and elements out here. If you store it, def protect that electrical, rats love toasty lil spots with wires and insulation. Good Luck.
#1 reason why i bought a power wagon with heated seats/steering.winter in central British Columbia is brutal on cars and light duty trucks.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Stabilizer is not needed for diesel, although there are companies that will take your money. Biocides ARE a thing for diesel in storage to prevent slime from growing in your tank. Probably not a big concern in freezing weather. I use it in my diesel in Florida, but that’s parked 6 months in relatively warm conditions.

DEF no need for any action. It’s fine to freeze even.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I had diesel boats for almost 30 years in Connecticut. I would just shut them down and let them sit all winter under cover in a boat yard. Leave the batteries alone as they were charged up when the boat was hauled out.
In the spring, put the charger on for a day or two and start the diesel up when it got put in the water.
Never used an additive, it was always "summer fuel". Never charged the batteries over the winter.