Strange Howl/Whine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigHornRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I started hearing this strange howl/whining noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear lately right before the transmission shifts. I also hear it if I’m coming to a stop. Here’s the thing, if I select mds off by using the gear buttons on the wheel, the sound goes away almost every time. Also, it doesn’t happen every time I leave from a stop if mds is still on. It’s random. Might do it every time, or some days might not do it at all. Any ideas? Anyone else have this same problem?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You do Used Oil Analysis?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
So I started hearing this strange howl/whining noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear lately right before the transmission shifts. I also hear it if I’m coming to a stop. Here’s the thing, if I select mds off by using the gear buttons on the wheel, the sound goes away almost every time. Also, it doesn’t happen every time I leave from a stop if mds is still on. It’s random. Might do it every time, or some days might not do it at all. Any ideas? Anyone else have this same problem?

Hi @BigHornRam - We certainly understand why this would be concerning! If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
BigHornRam

BigHornRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven’t done a used oil analysis yet, haven’t had the issue long at all and haven’t needed to change my oil yet