Stripped screw threading in manifold - YAY!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebel Project

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey Folks,
I have a 2017 Ram Rebel overland project I'm currently doing some stage 1 upgrades to. I upgraded to a Jet throttle body and spacer (I know there are some strong opinions on the usefulness of the spacer but it was only 90 bucks so I gave it a shot).

Well, I thought I was being careful and taking a soft touch with the install bolts into the composite manifold but I wasn't going soft enough - I managed to strip not one but 2 of the threads - the front ones. I suck.

Anyway, desperately looking for a reliable fix before funneling large sums to the dealership's service dept.

2 part epoxy? helicoil? etc.

Thanks for your time guys!
Jon

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The threads pulled out of the aluminum, where the intake manifold bolts thread into the cylinder heads?

Like you say, maybe helicoil or drill / tap to a larger size.

OP
OP
R

Rebel Project

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for a quick response Pomans! Its actually where the throttle body bolts onto the manifold. And the manifold is made of that composite plastic. I was kinda surprised how easily they stripped...

cvillechopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's the composite plastic, you could try a heavy duty 2-part epoxy fix. Basically, fill the stripped holes, let fully cure, drill and tap fresh holes. I have done this before. Make sure not to drill out whatever threads are remaining as they will help the epoxy hold. I'll add that this only works for holes with a closed bottom (not open into an intake area).

Good luck.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hey Folks,
I have a 2017 Ram Rebel overland project I'm currently doing some stage 1 upgrades to. I upgraded to a Jet throttle body and spacer (I know there are some strong opinions on the usefulness of the spacer but it was only 90 bucks so I gave it a shot).

Well, I thought I was being careful and taking a soft touch with the install bolts into the composite manifold but I wasn't going soft enough - I managed to strip not one but 2 of the threads - the front ones. I suck.

Anyway, desperately looking for a reliable fix before funneling large sums to the dealership's service dept.

Jon
Oh that is terrible news post a picture so we understand what we are talking about

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey Folks,

Jon
Tap it for a 1/4" stud,if the stud is a bit sloppy,you can JB Weld it into place. A piece of 1/4" ready rod,available at any hardware store ,cut to the proper length works good.I forget the exact length i used,so you'll have to trial fit the stud,then cut it to length

Attachments

• IMG_4250 (2).JPG
    IMG_4250 (2).JPG
    121 KB · Views: 39

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Tap it for a 1/4" stud,if the stud is a bit sloppy,you can JB Weld it into place. A piece of 1/4" ready rod,available at any hardware store ,cut to the proper length works good.I forget the exact length i used,so you'll have to trial fit the stud,then cut it to length
Is that 1/4-20?

OP
OP
R

Rebel Project

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for a quick response Pomans! Its actually where the throttle body bolts onto the manifold. And the manifold is made of that composite plastic. I was kinda surprised how easily they stripped...

Oh that is terrible news post a picture so we understand what we are talking about
If it's the composite plastic, you could try a heavy duty 2-part epoxy fix. Basically, fill the stripped holes, let fully cure, drill and tap fresh holes. I have done this before. Make sure not to drill out whatever threads are remaining as they will help the epoxy hold. I'll add that this only works for holes with a closed bottom (not open into an intake area).

Good luck.
I'm leaning toward the epoxy. Thanks!

Attachments

• InkedMANIFOLD_LI.jpg
    InkedMANIFOLD_LI.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
R

Rebel Project

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wouldn't have thought of that. thanks!

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh damn, that sucks. I was thinking this was going to be another exhaust manifold bolts thread and was going to tell you welcome officially to the club.

I did just upgrade to the 6.4 intake manifold, so if you decide you'd like a new (used) manifold, hit me up and we can figure out a fair price.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wouldn't have thought of that. thanks!
Personally i think they should of used a stud instead of the coarse thread screws they do use.A stud will take alot more abuse then a screw will,especially when threaded into a composite manifold

OP
OP
R

Rebel Project

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Personally i think they should of used a stud instead of the coarse thread screws they do use.A stud will take alot more abuse then a screw will,especially when threaded into a composite manifold
Tried some JBweld expoxy. Didn't go so well. Trying studs now. Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Tried some JBweld expoxy. Didn't go so well. Trying studs now. Thanks
That might make it a bit more difficult,lol. I never filled the holes,so it was easy to tap them with a 1/4-20 bottoming tap,i'm curious on how it goes for you,so keep us updated on your progress.