Fix for stripped throttle body intake manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Has anybody come up with a decent way to repair the threads in the composite intake manifold that holds the throttle body on.I have a buddy who just picked up a bigger throttle body,and apparently he went a little gorilla on the screws holding the TB on ,and now 2 of them are stripped ,and he was asking me if i had any ideas on how to repair the holes and threads,and honestly i don't have a good idea.About all i have is putting a little JB Weld in the holes,and wrapping the screw threads with teflon tape or something similiar then re-installing the screws and let the JB Weld set-up and cure,then back the screws out,clean up any excess JB Weld and then re-install the throttle body and carefully tighten it down.I told him i wasn't sure if that'd work,but off the top of my head,that's all i got.Hoping maybe somebody has a better fix that i can pass onto to him,other then gluing the throttle body right to the manifold,lol

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anybody come up with a decent way to repair the threads in the composite intake manifold that holds the throttle body on.I have a buddy who just picked up a bigger throttle body,and apparently he went a little gorilla on the screws holding the TB on ,and now 2 of them are stripped ,and he was asking me if i had any ideas on how to repair the holes and threads,and honestly i don't have a good idea.About all i have is putting a little JB Weld in the holes,and wrapping the screw threads with teflon tape or something similiar then re-installing the screws and let the JB Weld set-up and cure,then back the screws out,clean up any excess JB Weld and then re-install the throttle body and carefully tighten it down.I told him i wasn't sure if that'd work,but off the top of my head,that's all i got.Hoping maybe somebody has a better fix that i can pass onto to him,other then gluing the throttle body right to the manifold,lol
I did it on my old 2010 one bolt just spun... I went to canadian tire grabbed some of that 2 parts mix stuff with the big syringe filled it... drilled a small pilot hole and retapped it.. it worked

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Chris i'll tell him to grab some at Crappy Tire before they close tonight,and give it a whirl.The only other idea i could come up with is to try and find a small 3/16" Helicoil insert and glue it in,then use a long 3/16" machine screw or bolt ,but even that idea i'm not so sure would work all that good,lol

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Can you rivet a nut-sert into it? They are just installing metal threads into the plastic housing unless all of it is broken.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can you rivet a nut-sert into it? They are just installing metal threads into the plastic housing unless all of it is broken.

I took a look at it this afternoon.I left him my 1/4" helicoil kit as i think with a little work a helicoil will go in pretty easy and with a little plastic weld or JB weld i don't think the helicoil insert will go anywhere. I'll probably go back over on the weekend and give him a hand installing a couple,as i don't have any 1/4" bolts roughly a 1.75" long,and by then he'll have had time to pick up a few.
Thanks for the tips and ideas guys,it's very appreciated

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I took a look at it this afternoon.I left him my 1/4" helicoil kit as i think with a little work a helicoil will go in pretty easy and with a little plastic weld or JB weld i don't think the helicoil insert will go anywhere. I'll probably go back over on the weekend and give him a hand installing a couple,as i don't have any 1/4" bolts roughly a 1.75" long,and by then he'll have had time to pick up a few.
Thanks for the tips and ideas guys,it's very appreciated
Guy at the end of this link used helicoils, said they worked for him in plastic

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/139138/helicoil-for-plastic

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Guy at the end of this link used helicoils, said they worked for him in plastic

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/139138/helicoil-for-plastic

I've used them in plastic before.It's not like you need much torque to hold a throttle body on.I'm kind of kicking the idea around of just drilling and tapping the holes to 1/4-20 thread and making some studs out of 1/4" ready rod,that way you don't have to unthread anything out of the intake manifold,the studs would stay in place permanently.If the stud idea seems to work,that's what he'll get,if it's not panning out,then the next step will be to go to the helicoil idea,but still probably use a nut and stud set-up even with a helicoil

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I've used them in plastic before.It's not like you need much torque to hold a throttle body on.I'm kind of kicking the idea around of just drilling and tapping the holes to 1/4-20 thread and making some studs out of 1/4" ready rod,that way you don't have to unthread anything out of the intake manifold,the studs would stay in place permanently.If the stud idea seems to work,that's what he'll get,if it's not panning out,then the next step will be to go to the helicoil idea,but still probably use a nut and stud set-up even with a helicoil

I made sure to hand tighten everything going into that plastic TB opening. Use some blue loctite if NVH is causing the bolts to back out. :005:

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well about 3 bucks in parts and an hour ,he's back on the road.Ended up drilling and tapping the holes for some 1/4" studs.Everything tightens up,and probably tightens up better then the original screws did.But i told him to buy himself a 8mm and a 7/16" nutdriver,and from now on don't go gorrilla on the bolts.He was using a 3/8" drive rachet to tighten things up,i told him to throw that damn rachet away when he's working on plastic,and go buy himself a decent little 1/4" drive rachet and socket set and use the nutdriver in it from now on when he's tightening bolts/screws into plastic.The factory should probably have done it this way,but they probably weren't thinking about the guys who want to make the trucks quicker and are occassionally removing the throttle body. My hacksaw blade was getting a little dull by the time i was cutting the screwdriver slots,so if the screwdriver slots look a bit wonky,they are,but they do the job,and i wasn't making another set of studs,lol

IMG_4250 (2).JPG

Last edited: