Stroker boost options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990coup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello everyone I'm new and I've been working on my 2009 ram for about 1 month 2009 rt 4x4 5.7 6" lift 35" tires.
now I bought a stroker kit 396 from MMX. I'm about to take the block to get prep for me to install the stroker assembly my self but I want to boost my engine. I believe my compression might be a bit too high.
11.1 or if it's safe to boost at this compression. 1. do I need to upgrade my head with a bigger chamber to lower compression. 2. or can I do this with current cylinder heads. 3. is it safe to get a head gasket that is thicker and is it safe? my goal is 550whp and as much torque as posible.
I'm on the verge of buying the cam costume grind. but need to have all the information and options I can get with the stroker I got in order to get the right cam and then the heads and then my boost. would appreciate all you guys' opinions and options that I'm not aware of.
thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Call or email mmx and see what they suggest would be your best bet. They do these engines so they’ll know what to suggest.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Normally when you build a motor, you're buying all of the components for a particular purpose in mind. You probably bought a kit that's for a stock motor and maintains the 11:1 compression ratio. That's great for a naturally aspirated motor, it may be a tad too high for a supercharged setup unless you're careful with lower boost/very conservative tune. Most folks will tell you that's too high, especially at high boost levels. I won't give you advice on what to do other than saying simply adding a thicker head gasket isn't the best way to go, read about 'quench'. Also make sure you understand ring gap sizes for boosted versus NA applications.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get you're doing or want to do the work yourself but I'd recommend talking to engine builders and tuners to see what they recommend so you dont start wasting money and time on things that will not work to achieve your goals. Building a naturally aspirated engine is a lot different than building one for boost.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca