Stuck in park, no brake lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my column shift is stuck in Park and I have no brake lights. I bought a new brake light switch and it did not fix the issue.

Any suggestions on a Sunday afternoon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Most likely it’s your brake light switch. The reason I say that is because it does send a signal to the PCM/TCM to let it know that you’re pressing on the brake pedal and that it’s ok to shift out of park or neutral and into drive or reverse. It’s a quick, easy fix and it’s cheap.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most likely it’s your brake light switch. The reason I say that is because it does send a signal to the PCM/TCM to let it know that you’re pressing on the brake pedal and that it’s ok to shift out of park or neutral and into drive or reverse. It’s a quick, easy fix and it’s cheap.

I bought a new brake light switch, it did not fix the issue.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you adjust it as there’s a good spot for them to be where the brake lights will come on right when you touch the brake pedal and turn off as soon as you take your foot off? The other possibility would be the neutral safety switch but that has nothing to do with your brake lights. Your brake lights not working were the reason why I went with that first. Did you check the fuse for your brake lights?

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which transmission do you have?

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which transmission do you have?
6 speed.
So after letting the truck set for about an hour after putting in the new brake light switch I went back out sort of in disgust just to try again... aaaannnddd it worked. It has gone into gear and operated the way it should.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you adjust it as there’s a good spot for them to be where the brake lights will come on right when you touch the brake pedal and turn off as soon as you take your foot off? The other possibility would be the neutral safety switch but that has nothing to do with your brake lights. Your brake lights not working were the reason why I went with that first. Did you check the fuse for your brake lights?

Well.... it worked for 11 days and happened again this morning. I removed the brake light switch and reinstalled, let the truck set for 30 minutes went back out and everything worked. Drove it about 15 miles and the parking brake light popped up and that's when I know that I'm going to have the issue again.

I tried adjusting the sensor but to be honest I'm not sure how to adjust it. I read to use a screw driver to push the button back into the housing of the sensor but that didn't help.

Could you explain how to make the adjustment?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There should be either a ring on the outside of it that acts like a nut or the outside housing should look like a zipper and allow you to move the button closer to the brake pedal or closer to the firewall. I forget the exact mechanism that it uses but the button section should be able to be moved forward or backwards in the metal housing that the switch sits in.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There should be either a ring on the outside of it that acts like a nut or the outside housing should look like a zipper and allow you to move the button closer to the brake pedal or closer to the firewall. I forget the exact mechanism that it uses but the button section should be able to be moved forward or backwards in the metal housing that the switch sits in.

The brake pedal arm that touches the sensor piston does move but doesn't seem adjustable. The sensor piston is always in contact with the pedal arm.

The sensor locks into a piece of metal with a quarter turn but that piece of metal is not adjustable. The brake pedal pushes into a piston that goes through the firewall but I can't see how to adjust that either. As far as the sensor its self goes it seems like it would come apart with two snap clips but I haven't been able to get them depressed enough to pull it apart without damaging the plastic housing of the sensor.