2014 Ram Limp mode. Stuck in reverse. No trans temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badfish379

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 Ram 5.7 Express Quad cab 4x4. 6spd with column shifter.
I was having intermittent issues with my truck going into limp mode and throwing multiple codes. Could clear the codes and would drive fine for a few days. I've read through the forums and can't seem to find this exact issue. My trans temp is not reading at all on the cluster just 3 dash lines. Has anyone experienced this? I bought an Icon T8 scanner and can communicate with the PCM and the trans temp is showing 205 degrees. I've tested for continuity on the trans temp signal wire pin 23 on the TCM plug to pin 44 on the PCM and shows open circuit. I did change the valve body/solenoid pack with a Sonnax universal originally when this happened because all signs pointed to that being the problem but changed nothing. The scanner shows the solenoid working as it should with the solenoids changing state when shift lever is moved but indicator either shows reverse in park, reverse, and neutral or drive when it's in drive. I'm pretty confident in my mechanical abilities but this has me so frustrated and pi$$ed off at this point. Won't start because it thinks it's in geall at all times. Key get stuck because "vehicle is not in park". I get the key out by releasing the white plug under dash on driver side and wait for power to drop out of BTSI solenoid. Seems as though the temp signal wire is open going to the PCM and I'm assuming the wire is broken in the loom behind the intake but would like to get some insight from anyone that had a similar experience before I pull the intake and start tearing into the harness. Also load tested the battery good, checked grounds, and checked continuity on trans relay wire from tipm to pcm and was like 1.2ohms. Had some corrosion on pins 1,2,25,and 26 on C1 PCM connector. Cleaned with contact cleaner and coated with dialectric grease. Probably more I'm forgetting right now. Any insight would be appreciated.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Don't get to carried away with putting Di-electric grease on the contact points,it's an insulator,not a conductor.
If you google "is di-electric grease a conductor", this will probably be the first thing that pops up.

(Despite the fact it has "electric" right there in the name, it's a fairly common misconception that dielectric grease is capable of conducting electricity. In actual fact, dielectric grease is an insulator and doesn't conduct electricity.)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Have you deleted your bypass yet?? Most guys on ram forum get that off their 14 rfe's. When oem valve fails, so does transmission, and eventually they will fail. Bypass makes it fail proof, keep temp out of trans fluid.

51WGFbLNp6S.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

So the shifter linkage in rfe as in all the mechanical stuff if working, it is something in the brain or messaging causing this? These are always the toughest to find, sorry to say above my pay grade.

If you are still getting codes can you post them?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat