Stupid question??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Possibly a stupid question. My truck has rear defrost on the display (big horn 8.4 unconnect) but when I use it nothing seems to happen. It doesn't have the defrost lines along the back window which is a slider. Here in this pic it's been on for about 10 minutes.

image_zps8mzjwmsi.jpg

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Watch your side mirrors... those are the what the defrost is wired to. Your model doesn't have rear defrost - just side mirror defrost, the picture on the dash button is a default rear window look. You would see grid lines going across the back window for the defroster, look at the bottom outside corners of your mirrors and you'll see the picture of a mirror with the 3 heat arrows.

Barcelo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 speed with mds
I think that defrost you see on the screen is the side mirrors only? Same as the button below the screen. I could be wrong though. Someone else from the ramly should repond soon though....and don't worry, there are way more stupid questions in this forum than that!! :)

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Watch your side mirrors... those are the what the defrost is wired to. Your model doesn't have rear defrost - just side mirror defrost, the picture on the dash button is a default rear window look. You would see grid lines going across the back window for the defroster, look at the bottom outside corners of your mirrors and you'll see the picture of a mirror with the 3 heat arrows.

Could it just be that every truck has that button? I have it and am pretty sure I don't have heated mirrors and know I don't have a rear window defrost. I think they put the defrost logo on all mirrors since they are on both my truck and Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'm fairly certain neither have the actual heated feature. My guess is that the button and mirror glass is just always installed since it's easier to have 1 go to then having to install different ones in each truck regardless of features.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious. Who knows, maybe I do have heated mirrors...I guess I've never felt the glass with the feature on.

TO THE OP...that is how you turn on your mirrors though. I got my Jeep before my Ram and saw the logo on the glass and looked at the manual to figure out how to turn them on. It's kinda random to use the rear defrost for mirrors in the front (well closer to the front than rear) of the vehicle, but that's how you do it.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Could it just be that every truck has that button? I have it and am pretty sure I don't have heated mirrors and know I don't have a rear window defrost. I think they put the defrost logo on all mirrors since they are on both my truck and Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'm fairly certain neither have the actual heated feature. My guess is that the button and mirror glass is just always installed since it's easier to have 1 go to then having to install different ones in each truck regardless of features.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious. Who knows, maybe I do have heated mirrors...I guess I've never felt the glass with the feature on.

TO THE OP...that is how you turn on your mirrors though. I got my Jeep before my Ram and saw the logo on the glass and looked at the manual to figure out how to turn them on. It's kinda random to use the rear defrost for mirrors in the front (well closer to the front than rear) of the vehicle, but that's how you do it.

It's news to me, if they're just putting the button in regardless of the actual feature then, I guess they could save some money, but I've always seen vehicles "with" heated mirrors have the picture on the glass and the dash control. The models that don't have it have blank glass and the dash button isn't there.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No defrost on windows with a rear slider.

Mirrors, will have a little defrost image etching , if thay have defrost.

IMO

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a rear sliding window with defrost on my limited. It does have the lines in the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

IMO

incorrect i have both a power slider rear and rear window defrost.

button is for the mirrors if you dont have the grid lines

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

x2. Sport Crew Cab here with defrost rear slider window. Really nice to have when it's been snowing out.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Why is rear defrost not a standard option? (Duh, cost) but you would think on the level of vehicle we are getting it would be standard.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Well, ****. I was misguided, my apologies...

I had a fully loaded '11 laramie with slider (no rear defrost)

I have a '15 bighorn, slider (no rear defrost)

And I was told by a chrysler mechanic a couple years ago that it was the case, my apologies.

Could you post a pic? How do they defrost?

IMO

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd post a pic but it's under 10" of snow right now in Denver. Lol. It looks just like a typical sliding window, but has lines in it like most cars do. Defroster works when you hit the button that works the mirror heaters, and works just as well as it does on my wife's SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all! I kindof ****** me off the sheet says rear defrost IIRC - it does have side mirror heat.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, ****. I was misguided, my apologies...

I had a fully loaded '11 laramie with slider (no rear defrost)

I have a '15 bighorn, slider (no rear defrost)

And I was told by a chrysler mechanic a couple years ago that it was the case, my apologies.

Could you post a pic? How do they defrost?

IMO

my first '13 only had the mirrors and a power slide.

my '15 laramie has both. i would have to look, but i assume there are just contacts on both sides of the center glass so when its closed it completes the circuit.

i was under the same impression back in '13 also when i started to search for my '13. then i drove one that had both so i knew it was an option.

its only like a $195 option
here is a window sticker for one that has both
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7NT9GS248875

RJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

IMO
Mine has a power slider and rear defrost. On the OP picture I don't see the defrost element lines so...

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea.. We already established that I was wrong with that statement. Thanks for rubbing it in though.

IMO