Stupid truck Question of the day...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Why do all of the truck mfg’s put highway tread tires on their 4x4’s?
Wouldn’t a med aggressive
A/T be more suited for our 4x4’s and help them sell faster too?

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Even if it was a **** brand it’d still probably be better than the highway tires.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Even if it was a **** brand it’d still probably be better than the highway tires.

I still think the number of people who swap out rims and tires are low compared to the people who leave stock. I see TONS AND TONS of stock rams driving around. Dealers do offer up rim and tire upgrades though. But they seem overpriced from what I see. Other than it’s finaced into purchase price.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Because we would all gripe about whatever tire they put on it. So they go cheapest route I think :Caffeine:
That deserves some further analysis. When tire manufacturers bid for OEM tire contracts, the "pricing world" gets thrown out completely. The cost of shipping/warehousing (and even advertising) is an enormous part of the cost of a tire. The cost of the physical tire itself isn't anything like what a MSRP might suggest. The tire manufacturers bid or don't bid according to what they want to do; and, of course, vehicle mfg. choose according to what they want to do and they almost certainly choose the low bid for the closest qualifying tire for their purpose. But the bottom line is that the tires that come original equipment are not cheap tires.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^Agree. My 07 Mega Cab had Michelin and we got 45k miles out of them. My 03 came with Goodyear and the 2018 with Firestone. Not a fan of Firestone, but the factory set are not cheap tires.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
That deserves some further analysis. When tire manufacturers bid for OEM tire contracts, the "pricing world" gets thrown out completely. The cost of shipping/warehousing (and even advertising) is an enormous part of the cost of a tire. The cost of the physical tire itself isn't anything like what a MSRP might suggest. The tire manufacturers bid or don't bid according to what they want to do; and, of course, vehicle mfg. choose according to what they want to do and they almost certainly choose the low bid for the closest qualifying tire for their purpose. But the bottom line is that the tires that come original equipment are not cheap tires.
I by no means meant the “cheapest tire” but I guarantee they don’t pay what we pay for the same tire from a dealer. I’m not diffing that far into it cause well it’s sunday and I don’t have stock tires so don’t really care lol :Caffeine:

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I remember stories about Henry Ford and his cousin. Henry needed a tire for his cars and his cousin took a loan from Henry and started the Firestone brand. Jumping forward to the late ‘90’s Firestone and Ford has a falling out over tire failures on the then new vehicle called the Explorer. They had a ****load of recalls and roll over crashes caused by the Firestone tires. They broke the relationship.
Now ram and other mfg’s are using the Firestone tire.
Although it’s been improved since then. I still don’t trust or particularly like the tires.
If I were looking for a passenger car tire my go to brand would be Michelin tires especially the ones with the low rolling resistance tread or the X green type.
They seem to be a long lasting problem free tire.
Thoughts on the Michelin tire?
When I had my trucking company I put Contintal tires on them. Occasionally I would get a set of Michelin’s

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I still think the number of people who swap out rims and tires are low compared to the people who leave stock. I see TONS AND TONS of stock rams driving around. Dealers do offer up rim and tire upgrades though. But they seem overpriced from what I see. Other than it’s finaced into purchase price.

I just bought a set of 2018 Laramie Limited new takeoffs. They came off a 2500 that stickered for 77K. The dealership swapped them for customs and did a 6" lift. They sold the truck for 88K.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I too like the Michelin. Of all the tires I have had, they have lasted the longest and been a good rife tire. In our area they are very expensive compared to Goodrich, Cooper and Goodyear.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I just bought a set of 2018 Laramie Limited new takeoffs. They came off a 2500 that stickered for 77K. The dealership swapped them for customs and did a 6" lift. They sold the truck for 88K.

Damn $88K for a truck??
I’d never pay that for a truck.
I can get a decent house or 2 for that.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I too like the Michelin. Of all the tires I have had, they have lasted the longest and been a good rife tire. In our area they are very expensive compared to Goodrich, Cooper and Goodyear.

Yeah more expensive but well worth it considering how long they last and the comfortable ride

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Way back (in the olden days) and before the advent of radial tires, the OE tires on a car were "first line" tires. For Goodyear, that was a tire called Supercushion. It was a rayon cord tire, so no flat-spotting that was a trait of nylon. I think it was later polyester cord. It's been a long time. The second line tire, if memory serves, was Safety All Weather. The third line tire was All Weather. Both the second and third lines were nylon cord tires. The first premium grade (above first line) was Custom Nylon. There might have been another premium option besides Custom Nylon, I can't recall for sure, but there was an occasional one, and then there was the big daddy, the Double Eagle. If a Safety All Weather cost $18.00 or so, a Supercushion would have been maybe about $26.00, the Custom Nylon about $34.00 and the Double Eagle close to $50.00. My father was a Goodyear dealer in Arlington MA. I don't believe that we ever sold a set of Double Eagles. My Dad put a set on one of his station wagons once and they wore like iron. But the opinion of virtually everyone back then was that the OE tires were cheap junk. So the opinion continues, even though it was wrong then and is still wrong. To say that the vehicle mfg. doesn't pay what "we" pay is pretty hilarious. "We" buy a set of tires maybe after the OE tires are gone. The tire mfg. are bidding on upwards of, say, 50,000 pieces per year. When radials came along, the US cars did not have suspensions tuned for them. Goodyear, for instance, had a panel in the sidewalls of the early radial tires to stabilize the tire. Michelin and others got knocked on their collective butts when the suspensions got tuned up and US manufacturers started getting earnest in radial design. It was not because Michelin and others were not good, but because they had older designs that needed to be updated. Tires are nothing like they were 60 years ago. The advent of tire ratings for wear, traction, temperature was probably the greatest advance and almost no one ever mentions any of that. It's right on the sidewall of the tire. If I'm not mistaken, Firestone is owned by Bridgestone now. The problem with the Ford Explorer was a tire pressure issue, not a fault of the tire. I really can't speak to the issue of whether it had anything to do with the vehicle. But the tread chunking was due to having a high load rated tire and running it too soft. So you pick the one you like, pay your money and go. Excellent if you like them, but an expensive boo-boo these days if you don't.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The tires that came on my truck should not be on a 4x4 IMO , I understand they dont want a super aggressive tread patterns but a allterrian would have been nice to have.
Is what it is I have many new trucks and most have had hwy tread.

My Explorer came with those "Firestone" tires and they were good tires and a nice tread pattern for a awd SUV, I think wr had arpund 37k on them when Ford bought us new tires and they did not even look like they had any wrar on them for the most part.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Post up your new stupid question of the day.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This makes the most sense to me.

I am probably a "typical" buyer.

Drive my RAM 100% on road. Might drive in snow 1 week per year if at all.

Use my truck ( w/tonneau) as an SUV with a big trunk. Rarely tow more than my utility trailer 2-3 times per year for household projects.

I drive 20-25,000 per year. Much of it on long business trips so comfort & quiet is the priority.

Will leave OEM tires on for a couple years then replace with a better highway tire. I really like the Michelin LTX series. I have purchased 3 sets in the last 12 years for 3 different vehicles. On my 4th generation Ram the LTX made as big of an improvement on the ride as my Bilstein 5100's did (loved them too).

I see many trucks lifted with big meaty tires and wheels in my area.
Really like the looks of them but really doesn't make sense for my usage.

It would be interesting to know the approximate percentage of replacement highway tires versus aggressive tires that go on trucks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk