Suggested modifications for a 2014 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aidan Crombie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good day to you!

I have owned my 2014 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab for almost a year now and I do indeed love her.
However! I am very keen to start working on some modifications, both performance and cosmetic.

I don’t have the funds to always drop $800 on a new exhaust system or $2000 on new rims but I would really like to, little by little, start making this truck more to my liking. It’s in the deep cherry red and I use it to work my route as a pool service tech so no lift kit here, I need to actually be able to reach into my bed.

Today I plastidipped all my emblems and I intend to swap out the aluminium rims for the oem black ones at some point, but other than that I am wide open to suggestions on what you guys and ladies think would look good on my truck?

I appreciate your time

Have a fantastic day!

9427E950-90A4-465A-A594-2F6E196AA38E.jpeg

05DEFAD2-C47C-48E3-B253-7A4D81B9B7A2.jpeg

31817AD1-A203-47E1-AB61-5F7F240366E5.jpeg

EFD700F0-45C2-4F69-B31C-BA1194F82AD4.jpeg

DC80E77F-2F84-4E60-9A9F-19B13CE9E8F6.jpeg

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You could plasti-dip your wheels.

You could tint match your front windows

How about a spray in bedliner?

OP
OP
Aidan Crombie

Aidan Crombie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could plasti-dip your wheels.

You could tint match your front windows

How about a spray in bedliner?

As far as plastidipping my wheels is concerned I keep going back and forth on that one because it’d be a heck of a lot cheaper, especiallly because all I want are the black powder coated versions of the stock rims I have but I’d hate to put that time in to spray them for them to crack or come up or anything, does it usually last well?

Tint matching, that’s definitely on the list Hopefully will be doing that soon, got quoted $300 for a match at 20% I think?

And yep, bedliner also is for sure on the list, that one is honestly more important because it’s my work truck but I’ve just kept putting it off that’s my bad.

Thanks for the suggestions man

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If you black out the wheels the truck would look real good with a OEM black projector and tail light conversion. It is a little pricey but would be well worth it IMO.

OP
OP
Aidan Crombie

Aidan Crombie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you black out the wheels the truck would look real good with a OEM black projector and tail light conversion. It is a little pricey but would be well worth it IMO.

Yeahhh, that’s what I’m thinking, black out the wheels and I’d really like to get a set of even the black factory style quads to swap them out with, would be a little cheaper.
As you said it’s expensive but man it’d look good with the projectors, are the sport tail lights any different than stock?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-BLACK-Dodg...642755&hash=item58b62b23a4:g:W2cAAOSwq7JULbgl

Here is a cheap alternative and better than plastic dip. I used this to chrome clad my aluminum wheels on my 2016 and they were good.

You can also get a decent bull bar for a decent price. Tail lights etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh, really? I was always dubious about them cause I thought they’d look real cheap being essentially better hub caps, but you like yours fine?
Aye I’ve toyed with a bull bar. It’s a 4x2 so I was leaning away from the off-road kinda look. But bars are always nice anyway haha

Thanks everybody

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yeah those cladding are fine. That’s what rams have from factory on chrome wheels. Not all. But the SLT, bighorn some with chrome clad 20’s

Worst case scenario they last a couple years it’s cheaper than a set of wheels.l [emoji12]

OP
OP
Aidan Crombie

Aidan Crombie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah those cladding are fine. That’s what rams have from factory on chrome wheels. Not all. But the SLT, bighorn some with chrome clad 20’s

Worst case scenario they last a couple years it’s cheaper than a set of wheels.l [emoji12]

Yeah that’s for sure! Aye I noticed the chrome rims from factory are actually always clad, interesting that.
Maybe I’ll give them a go, although I’d like a more matte set rather than gloss?

Thank you though!

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
I did a bunch of simple mods. Rear drop springs, debadged, black rams heads, lots of window tint, etc. My wheels have been plastidipped for over 3 years. Magnaflow muffler, Hemifever tune, HIDs, pretty basic stuff.

26173824_10208749431012137_6524666109082419243_o.jpg

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
are the sport tail lights any different than stock?

The Sport trucks have the LED tail lamps. So they look great but as with projectors you would need an adapter from Retroshop.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the performance side, take a look at the Pedal Commander. There is a lot of good information on the forum about this mod.
Jay

OP
OP
Aidan Crombie

Aidan Crombie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a bunch of simple mods. Rear drop springs, debadged, black rams heads, lots of window tint, etc. My wheels have been plastidipped for over 3 years. Magnaflow muffler, Hemifever tune, HIDs, pretty basic stuff.

26173824_10208749431012137_6524666109082419243_o.jpg

Oh nice, so you plastidipped your wheels 3 years ago and they still look fine?
How much of an improvement do you see out of that muffler? I’m hoping for something with a little more grumble over stock but nothing too loud. You have a really nice truck man, I like it a lot, looks good in that colour too!

Lots of tint will be coming soooon.

The Sport trucks have the LED tail lamps. So they look great but as with projectors you would need an adapter from Retroshop.

Right yeah sure gotcha, forgot the sport taillights were LED over halogen. Like the canbus module? Yeah I have my eye on a set of clear lens blacked out LED tail lights I’m thinking I’ll go for.

We have some lesser expensive items that RAM owners love. We offer muffler kits and tip options that wont break the bank. check out this section of our site https://gotexhaust.com/c-1183874-ram-owners-preferred-products.html

My signature has promo codes that may apply to some things your interested in ;)

Sweet, thanks for the help man! Will definitely take a look! Couldn’t find your promo codes though? I’m being stupid more than likely haha

On the performance side, take a look at the Pedal Commander. There is a lot of good information on the forum about this mod.
Jay

Yeah? See I’ve heard pros and cons about the pedal commander. Because it’s still pretty pricey and for the money it seems like it’s more worth saving for a tuner where you have full tuning capabilities rather than just throttle response? What made you go with the pedal commander?

Thanks everyone for the tips

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just shoot me a message on anything you are looking for and I’ll help you out with a discount!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For some people the Pedal Commander is an intermediate step before investing in a tuner, as it is cheaper and gives you an instant "seat of the pants" increase in the way your truck accelerates. It can also be used in conjunction with a tuner, as they interact very well together. Although they do not increase the horsepower or torque of the truck, they do however eliminate the "lag" in the stock acceleration. There are very few members here that have bought one that have been unhappy with the results, I dare say the Pedal Commander has an overwhelming success rate. I think a quick search would be very informative.
Jay

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just recently installed the Pedal Commander on my '14 Ram Express and I am very satisfied with the results. It is like NIGHT & DAY difference. It does not add more HP, it just utilizes what HP you already have and eliminates any Drive by wire LAG. The MDS drone is minimal now but still there. I have my PC set on +2 (SPORT). Haven't played around with it yet though heard on SPORT+, and like 4, Hang on to your britches. Heard that it will literally chirp the tires on shifts with hard acceleration. NOT sure if that's fact or fiction though. Been contemplating the HEMIFEVER tuner and HemiFever has given me input, but not sure I want to spend almost $500 for something I will probably use once. I am not really into altering/Over riding the vehicles computer. I guess you could call me old school. Every so often, I get that urge to mess around at stop lights etc and pretend I am John Force but 95% of the time, the 400+ HP I have is more than adequate for my driving style.