suv advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
so its time to get a new suv for the wife to drive. our old one is fine it just isn't all wheel drive / 4wheel drive and with her new job she will need something to get her there and back home safely during snowy weather. anyone have a Subaru and if you do what are your likes and dislikes? any comments about any other brand is also welcome. thanks in advance. for the record I drove a ford escape and edge a Cherokee and a crosstrek and forester from subaru

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
so its time to get a new suv for the wife to drive. our old one is fine it just isn't all wheel drive / 4wheel drive and with her new job she will need something to get her there and back home safely during snowy weather. anyone have a Subaru and if you do what are your likes and dislikes? any comments about any other brand is also welcome. thanks in advance. for the record I drove a ford escape and edge a Cherokee and a crosstrek and forester from subaru
We've got a grand cherokee... Love it and handles great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wifey drives a '17 Grand Cherokee. We love it. It's the perfect all-weather vehicle, and is still big enough for long family trips. We also had a 2011 (and Durango in-between). It's an excellent platform. The Pentastar gets excellent MPGs for the size/weight.

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The wife has a 2016 journey r/t AWD and hasn’t had a single complaint or issue the entire time we’ve owned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
My first choice would be a Toyota Highlander. My dad has an outback and the thing is nice, it’s got the 6cyl too so it’s got more pep. But it’s got a CVT transmission. I’m not a fan Of them. That’s all Subaru is using in their cars. Definitely wouldn’t go for their ascent. Not enough power with a cvt. I still love the Durangos, but I don’t know what size you are looking at. What do you have now? We have a 2014 journey, it’s not bad and has been a good car. I can’t say how it handles in the snow I’ve never had to use it. Only thing is the transmission seems to gear hunt sometimes and it drives me a little crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
The wife has a 2016 journey r/t AWD and hasn’t had a single complaint or issue the entire time we’ve owned it.

I looked everywhere for an R/T. Couldn’t find one anywhere near me. Settled for a Limited. Still very nice with all the bells and whistles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Wife had an AWD 2005 Durango from new to 180,000 and loved it. Currently she has a 2014 Journey R/T AWD and it is great in the snow as well. I would never go just front wheel drive again.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
My wife has a '13 RAV4 which she loves, the all wheel drive has never let us down. We also have an '18 Subaru Crosstrek, can't beat it as a DD, great all wheel drive reliability.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wife had 3 RAV4,s and now a highlander. All were and are great in the snow. As far as a Cherokee...only a grand Cherokee I would vouch for. That Little thing they call a Cherokee (sport?) is terrible in the snow. We have then at work and I try not to drive them in the winter.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wife loves her Ford Edge. We've had it for 7-8 years now and she has not interest in trading it. Nice ride, decent mpg, and quiet inside.

OP
OP
D

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
The wife loves her Ford Edge. We've had it for 7-8 years now and she has not interest in trading it. Nice ride, decent mpg, and quiet inside.
we wound up going with an edge. test drove a bunch of vehicles and that's the one that stood out. all in all about everything we drove was nice riding and probably would have been sufficient but most didn't have the cargo space this did.