Switching Tires + Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dankohler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have had my truck for a month now and put about 1k miles on it. As much as I love the look of the Nitto Mud Grapplers, they are just a bit too loud for my taste. Everyone loves the look but have I have had a few complaints about the noise from passangers. I went to pick up my son in Petersburg, IL this weekend and drove back to Saint Louis, MO. 2.5 hour ride and I think the constant noise from the tires gave the poor boy a headache.

I want to keep the aggressive look of my Mud Grapplers, but switch them out for Trail Grapplers since I was told they are quite a bit quieter (quiet being a relative term of course when talking about off-road tires)

My current tires are 33x12.5x20 Muds and I am thinking of going with 35x12.5x20 Trails instead.

Pretty sure the bump from 33 to 35 wont be an issue since I already have the spacer in place.

The link below has the exact setup I am thinking of getting.
Gear Alloy Full Throttle 20x10 + Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x20

Considering going with 20 or 18 inch version of the same setup.

Any tips or concerns anyone might have would be appreciated.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
nice setup!

if you want to take a spin to hear the Trails, let me know - I'm game.

The only concern? I have 295/60/20s - i needed a 1/4" spacer to run 'em - and they still rubbed at full lock. If you need 1/4" spacers, let me know. I have a set here. Just don't let me forget 'em. ;)

Oh.......and going chrome?

OP
OP
D

dankohler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I just liked the look of these in chrome.

I also considered
Gear-Alloy-719-Timberland-Carbon-Black-Machine-20x10

As far as the 1/4 spacer, the dealer already put some on when the installed my current wheels. That and the fact that I have a custom set of 1.5 inch spacers coming from Motor-tech some time this week that I will switch too anyway. As soon as I get the bushwackers installed I will want the extra width.

OP
OP
D

dankohler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JJ!!!!
Those 3 little words "and going chrome?" has got me thinking I better wait till my lights are in before I make the decision on the color of the rims.........

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Lol. Lots of black to go with some chrome. ;-)

crappertalkin'

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
both are nice looking rims. I'm thinking of going to some machined/black ones eventually.

OP
OP
D

dankohler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally decided and ordered my tires and wheels today.

Settled on the Trail Grappler 35x12.5x20 + XD Monster Black 20".

user49891pic33912130524.jpg

I liked the clean look of the XD Monsters and the fact that I should be getting my JJ headlights and fogs in the next few days made me realize black was the way to go. Deciding if I will have to swap out the nerf bar and bed rails with black as well.

All these changes and the truck is not even a month old yet.

Talk about a way to blow through money!!!

Hear it is as of today.

dsc05814br.jpg

Lots of changes coming in the next few days with the painted fender flares, JJ lights, wheels + tires, mufflex 18.

Will post again in the next few days with another update.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
those are going to look awesome. So you were able to run 33x12.5 tires on your stock rims with 1/4" spacers?

OP
OP
D

dankohler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
those are going to look awesome. So you were able to run 33x12.5 tires on your stock rims with 1/4" spacers?

The dealership installed a 2.5" mopar leveling kit when I purchased the truck. They were the ones that put on the Mud Grapplers as well per my request. It was not the cheapest, but of course I had not joined this site yet and found out $800 for a level kit is a bit expensive.

good prices from that ebay store!
I ended up not going with ebay. It was a bit more expensive to go with a local shop, but they are going to transfer the sensors and make sure everything fits well. It is also nice to support a local shop so that when I need other things I have an established relationship.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
The dealership installed a 2.5" mopar leveling kit when I purchased the truck. They were the ones that put on the Mud Grapplers as well per my request. It was not the cheapest, but of course I had not joined this site yet and found out $800 for a level kit is a bit expensive.

wow, sorry about the $800. I was talking about wheels spacers not the leveling kit.

OP
OP
D

dankohler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, I read when you asked about stock rims as stock hight. My bad....

Yes, the stock rim 20x9 work just fine. Those are very wide tires too.

And I happen to know someone that has a set with about 1k miles on them =).

Last edited:

ramin44s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
You going to sell the mud grapplers now?? If so I would like to have them for my work truck

OP
OP
D

dankohler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They wont be available till next week when the others come in. But then I will be looking to unload them. I dont have the post count yet on the site to officially sale them through the FOR SALE section.