Tachometer only works at high RPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've got a 2006 Ram 1500 SLT 2wd Quad Cab Big Horn Ed. with the 5.7L Hemi and the tachometer does not work at idle or low RPMS. Driving around town, doesn't budge. But jumps into action anytime I'm accelerating hard.

Anyone know what causes this? Should I try resoldering the connections points for the Tach? I assume if those were bad it simply wouldn't work at all.

Thoughts? I'd really like to avoid buying a new cluster.

Thnx

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've got a 2006 Ram 1500 SLT 2wd Quad Cab Big Horn Ed. with the 5.7L Hemi and the tachometer does not work at idle or low RPMS. Driving around town, doesn't budge. But jumps into action anytime I'm accelerating hard.

Anyone know what causes this? Should I try resoldering the connections points for the Tach? I assume if those were bad it simply wouldn't work at all.

Thoughts? I'd really like to avoid buying a new cluster.

Thnx
I would at least remove the instrument cluster and check the connections for the tach. If you find the solder points to be inadequate then go ahead and do the repairs.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Common problem on the 06s. Do a google search. There are a couple good videos on the “fix”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado